Thursday, March 25, 2010

Michigan Football Recruiting Blitz

We haven't had a 2011 Recruiting Blitz in awhile, so I thought today would be a good day to catch up.

First the Big Names on the Board:

  • Florida Running Back Demetrius Hart who had Michigan leading earlier in his recruitment to find out lately that Michigan had dropped out of his favorites. Well, it's been a roller coaster for the Wolverines in Hart's recruitment many coaches across the nation have been telling the young man that RR and staff won't be in Ann Arbor in 2011. Which caused his Michigan recruitment to sour. Well, things have changed and Demetrius is paying his own way to attend the Michigan Spring Game. He continued to talk to the Michigan coaches and hopefully will further bond with them during his visit.

  • Plymouth, Michigan DE Brennen Beyer seems to be in Ann Arbor every weekend and this weekend will be not be an exception. Brennen is planning to be at Michigan's scrimmage on Saturday. BB is planning a decision before his senior season and his top 2 are Michigan and ND.

  • West Branch, Offensive Lineman Anthony Zettel is getting a ton of looks from major programs like ND and Penn State. Most expect Anthony to make a decision this summer and he is expected to be in Ann Arbor for the Spring Game.

If I had to pick Michigan's top 3 on the board, I'm betting that those are it.

The rest of the Blitz:

  • Baltimore QB Darius Jennings has a Michigan offer.
  • New Orleans Athlete Renaldo Thomas (6'3-190) has a Michigan offer.
  • Charlotte, NC QB Marquise Williams (6'4-220) has a Michigan offer.
  • TomVH from Mgoblog points out that Illinois OL Matt Frazier will be in Ann Arbor this weekend to watch the scrimmage. He should have lunch at Frazier's Pub on Packard.
  • Dallastown, PA Linebacker Ben Kline will be making his third trip to Ann Arbor this weekend for the scrimmage.
  • Doesn't sound to promising for the Wolverines to land California DE Charles Burkes (who I don't believe has an offer): Q: I know you have been to Stanford and Michigan so far, but recruiting season will be here sooner than you think. What colleges are you considering right now?

    A: Right now, I’m looking at Stanford. Stanford was my first scholarship offer, so they are my No. 1 right now because I really liked what they had to present academically and football wise. I think they are only going to get better. The coaches are real cool and they made me feel really welcomed when I went up there, so that is my No. 1 for sure. I also took an unofficial to Michigan for their Junior Day and I liked some stuff that they did up there too. I’ve gotten a lot of mail from Arizona State, Oregon State. And UCLA and USC, I haven’t really heard a lot from them. I’ve gotten a couple of letters from UCLA, but those two local schools are up there, too.
  • Michigan is recruiting Brandon Fulse as a tight end.

As you might expect, the best recruiting tool Michigan has this year will be winning on the football field. A bowl game and the "Practice Gate" penalties behind them will go along way in getting the Wolverines a top 10 recruiting class. With under 20 spots available in 2011, Michigan needs to be careful on who they recruit and offer. So if there is ever a time for Michigan to put it chips on the table, 2011 will be the time to go all in for the Maize and Blue.

No comments: