Friday, June 27, 2014

Michigan Friday: Dreams Come True For Michigan's Big 3

Last night in the NBA Draft, Nik and Mitch went earlier then expected and GR3 dropped to the second round. 

Nik was drafted #8 by the Sacramento Kings:  “This is a huge honor for me. This is something I’ve been working towards since I was seven years old,” Stauskas said. “The fact that I’m sitting here in front of all you guys now — I can’t put this into words.

“I haven’t really watched a lot of their other games, but I know they got a strong young core. I know they got DeMarcus Cousins, Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore, Rudy Gay, a lot of strong players on the team,” Stauskas said. “I know they struggled with shooting the basketball in the past. Immediately, I think I can be a guy that comes in and helps stretch the floor and knock down shots for them. So I’m excited to do that.”

Mitch went at 21 and will get to play with KD and Westbrook at OKC.  He tweeted right away he couldn't be happier.  Kevin Durant even tweeted him, welcoming him to the team.

I'm sure GR3 was disappointed he dropped to the 40th pick in the 2nd round, but he should be in place where he will get some playing time and could make an impact even this year: 

“He’s a first-round talent,” Timberwolves president and coach Flip Saunders said. “We’re really excited about him. And coach Beilein does a great job of coaching those guys (at Michigan). They’re very fundamentally sound, and they’ve got the tendency to improve and translate to our level.

“I know a lot of people come up here and say we had this guy rated a lot higher, but we had this guy rated a lot higher. He came in during the preseason and a lot of people had him rated as a lottery-type player.”

I'm happy that all 3 guys got drafted.   Jordan Morgan was of course not expected to get drafted and he didn't.  He might be able to make one of the teams Summer Basketball Program.

Update:  JMO will join the Timberwolves for summer league play as a undrafted free agent.   

The funny part of the night was when Nik got drafted.  He went to high five and hug Coach B and hit him right in the face.

Michigan now has had two years in a row where 2 players have been drafted in the first round.
What a great feeling it is to have our basketball program back.

  • Michigan has also extended contracts and given raises to all of John Beilein's assistant coaches.   Much deserved!

No comments: