Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wolverine Wednesday: Who Is Going To Step Up? - RB Edition

Michigan now has a ton of depth at the RB position.  So much they moved Ross Douglass to Slot WR this week, so he has a better chance of seeing the field. 

Let's take a look at the running backs:

Derrick Green - The former #1 RB in the country came to Fall camp last year as a freshman over weight.   He had 83 carries for 270 yards and two TD's as a freshman.   He ran hard but I really don't remember any real memorable runs.   He has dropped a ton of weight this off season and added some muscle.   I expect a nice year from this young RB.  

De'Von Smith - De'Von looked to be heading for a redshirt last year when he all of sudden started to get playing time.   He had 26 carries for 117 yards in 4 games last year.   In most of his carries he looked to be a very good back and maybe should have been getting Green's snaps has he got in D1 shape.   It's a shame neither redshirted last year. 

Drake Johnson is a redshirt sophomore who we have seen very little from as an ACL injury ended his season in the first game last year.    Drake seems to be a coaches favorite and maybe the #1 RB going into fall camp.   Is he fully healed?  Does he trust his knee?  Those are all question marks going into the season.  I think we all saw Fitz struggle last year because he didn't trust his leg after his serious injury the year before. 

Justice Hayes is a RS Junior and I guy I want to see get some more snaps.   I like that Justice has speed to get to the corner and if he got a few more snaps could really hit a couple big plays.   He is my choice as the third down back.   He started the bowl game and caught 3 passes.   He wears #5 which could conflict with Peppers if he gets any offensive snaps.

Ty Isaac is a the question mark going into the season.  Will he have to sit out a year or will the NCAA grant him a waiver for his transfer from USC?  I think this guy has a ton of talent and could take snaps from Justice.    As you know, I wouldn't mind a redshirt year for Ty as he learns the offense but we also need "all hands on deck" as Michigan turns this aircraft carrier.   Ty could be a huge part of this offense if he gets his waiver but maybe not until the Big Ten season.  If Ty plays a lot, I see it later in the year. 

My eyes told me that Smith looked like the best RB on the team last year as my heart was with Green.   I think it will play out like this:  Smith starts against App. State and Johnson and Green get plenty of snaps as well.  We know Coach Nuss likes to play a number of RB's in a game as he wears down the defense.   I like Justice as a RB who catches the ball out of the backfield in screens and third downs.   The back that has the "hot hand" will get the most snaps in the second half of a close game.

I really liked Isaac coming out of HS and very happy he is finally in Ann Arbor.  Whether he plays or not this year, I am expecting a number of big plays from him in the future!

Big House Blog RB Depth Chart:

Starter = Smith
Back ups that will get a ton of snaps = Green and Johnson
Third Down Back and Speed Back = Hayes
TBD = Isaac


Improved offensive line play will help this group succeed, but the backs also need to get better at picking up blitzes and open rushers.    Michigan needs a thousand yard rusher and I know the Michigan coaches hope they have 2 next season.   I would love for Hayes to have 3-5 catches  for like 60 yards a game.    Bottom Line is we need one of this guys to step up and have a big year.  I believe it will be Smith. 

No comments: