Thursday, October 23, 2014

Michigan Thursday: Talks About An SI.com Story

SI.com has a story on it's NCAAF front page about potential Big Time coaching changes in college football and who is going where.  

A lot of it, we already know.   What was interesting is Dan Mullen's and Florida's AD relationship not being that strong.   I pretty much thought it was a no-brainer for Dan to head back to Florida where he coached under Meyer.   I guess he didn't leave on great terms and that Foley is going to shop for a huge name like Bob Stoops. 

It also mentions that Jimmy is going to be a big reach for the Wolverines.   That Jim likes the NFL and even though his time with 49'ers will come to an end, the Raiders or Dolphins will throw a ton of money at him.   Since Mrs. Harbaugh loves the bay area, he may consider the Raiders.   If Jim picks the Raiders over Michigan, I will lose my mind.  I still think Jimmy is starting to understand his style does not work in the NFL. 

The story also says John isn't coming.  Which I agree with.

They talk about Les being 61 and won't be able to recruit the same type of player to Michigan that he has been able to get at LSU.   I think Les would take the Michigan job in a second.  With Les, you just need very good coordinators to keep him from making dumb mistakes during games.   I have zero concerns about his recruiting at Michigan.

What is interesting about the article is they see the top candidate for Michigan being Dan Mullen but that he could stay a Mississippi State.   I think Dan would be a very good hire for Michigan.   The back-up plan is Greg Schiano which concerns me after his complete train wreck of his NFL coaching stint.  I would worry about recruiting and hiring great coordinators.   I think Greg is a little bit of coaching poison right now.   Take the SMU or Kansas job Greg!

They even mention Jerry Kill for the Michigan job.   Are you kidding me?  How many MAC level coaches should Michigan hire?

On a funny note, they also mention RR for the Florida job.  RR does well coaching the football programs at basketball schools.  Maybe he learned something at Michigan, but I would not hire him for the bright lights at Florida.

  • Speaking of SI:  They have Devin Funchess as their #13 on their NFL Draft Board right now.  
  • Michigan is now a 17 point dog on Saturday.   
  • Alan Branch signed with the Patriots after being cut by the Bills earlier this season after a DUI.

6 comments:

M go Clean said...

Really good coordinators haven't kept Hoke from making dumb game decisions.....lol I think that coordinator's expect the head coach to be the head coach. I can just hear the sideline discussions (delayed due to no head set), where Hoke is given a recommendation and then there is a "well ah you know ah" and it's too late.

Rob said...

I will kill myself if we hire Jerry Kill. Ok, may not suicide, but that kind of sensless dumb ass move would put everything over the top and be just enough to force me to abandon the Program once and for all and move on with my life. The dude is an average coach, on a less than average team, and he cannot even finish handfuls of games because of game day seizures. I know we have something called the Americans with disabilities Act, but it would appear to me not being able to coach on game days because of stress induced seizures is a major missing bona fide occupational qualification. I wish I never read this post. TRAIN WRECK!

ScottyDoggs said...

Appreciate the info, see what the future holds... I always thought that hiring Hoke would knock Michigan "back to the stone age" and it has... Michigan has to get it right next time, or we will have to live in fear ( like a Purdue) of annually getting beat by a MAC like team. P.S. ask some successful coaches why they wear head ssets, and tell them how they like it if they did noit have them. Answers might surprise all us readers.

Brad said...

I think we can all agree that ultimately the struggles of the football team fall on Hoke. I will never understand the headset situation. Especially with his seat as hot as it is. The scary thing is that he does it to give complete control and trust to his coordinators. He has regular meetings with them all week to construct and build their game plan but ultimately when the game is being played out the coordinators make the calls. He has someone behind him feeding him the plays and he can over rule when needed. But not having communication with the box on things they are seeing doesn't make sense. ie Morris concussion. SO I guess my point is that it sucks that Michigan is losing, and it is easy to place the blame on Hoke and rightfully so, but the far scarier situation is that all of that control is in the hands of the coordinators. At first glance this is a good thing as both coordinators have won national championships. So the question is how are these great coordinators, along with Hoke failing with 4 and 5 star recruits. To me it is a mystery. Just don't understand. I think its going to be a long Saturday. Hope I am wrong!

dude1984 said...

If Jimmy H picked the Raiders, the place where coaching careers go to die, over Michigan I would scream. Miami wouldn’t be a bad place to go. They have some talent. His best option is to come back to the college game and to Ann Arbor.

I don’t mind if they hired Miles along with two up and coming coordinators that they can mentor to take over when Miles leaves in 4-7 years. He still has an impressive coaching record with 2 National Championships. That record combined with his record of graduating players to the NFL will bring top talent to Ann Arbor, so saying he won’t be able to recruit the same type of player is ridiculous.

Mullen is an interesting option. The problem is that is offense requires specific skills from each member and I don’t know how many of those pieces Michigan has? I really don’t want to wait 2-3 years to finally have all of the pieces. Two other interesting candidates are Ruffin McNeil from East Carolina and Mike Gundy from Oklahoma State.

Schiano shouldn’t even be brought up. He was an average college coach that got hired by a senile owner and flopped…as expected. He is definitely toxic and should go rebuild a much lesser program and work his way into a better job. Jerry Kill is another option that makes no sense. The constant intense pressure at Michigan would leave him in a permanent seizure. The article also mentions Bret Bielema…ugh.

I think Rich Rod would be great at Florida. He already has roots in Florida, so recruiting won’t be a problem. I also think Casteel would join him, so he has defense taken care of. With the SEC East being so weak I could see him being in the SEC Championship Game within 3 years.

Squashman said...

Jerry kill is actually a very good coach. He has done a great job at Minnesota but isn't a good fit for Michigan if for no other reason than his health issues.

Mullen would be a great hire but I don't think he has an interest in coming North.

While I think Jim Harbaugh has some ego issues and may be difficult to work with, I think he is just what Michigan needs right now. Alas, I don't think he will return.

RichRod could do well at Florida but why would he leave Arizona. He has the program progressing with a freshman qb. Hopefully he has learned from his last mistake and stays in the desert.

Please please please don't hire Miles. His clock management is terrible. A laughingstock in the SEC. He won a national championship with Sabin's players. He is kooky in his interviews and he is way past his prime.