Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Michigan Tuesday: Spike To Transfer


I know we don't have the full story here but I just don't like Spike playing in another jersey.   Is he fully healthy? 

"In the last month, I've gotten another set of X-rays and an MRI, and the doctors said everything looks great," Albrecht said. "They said there's no reason why I can play next year and be back to my old self."

Was his scholarship taken with a recruit after he said he was retiring?
Michigan is still over 1 scholarship for next year even with Spike and Caris leaving.   

"We're both disappointed in how it ended here at Michigan and the fact that it came to this," Albrecht said. "I just told him that I'm so grateful for my four years at Michigan and for the opportunity, but I also told him that I dedicated my entire life to the game of basketball and if I get an opportunity to play a fifth year and get my Master's, that's not something I can pass up on.
 
"As difficult as that was for him to hear, I'm sure, he was very understanding. It was very respectful on both ends."

Coach B has a bit of a perception problem right now.   A guy he let leave the program last year ends up being the Big10 6th man of the year.   He doesn't seem to be finding the diamonds in the rough like Burke, GR3, Hardaway or Stauskas anymore.   Even his highly ranked guys have struggled in his program. 

His 1-3-1 defense seems dead or dying and now he is letting a cult hero like Spike Albrecht leave the program.   I know Michigan Basketball will never be Duke, UK or North Carolina but we should be able to compete for Big Ten titles most years.   Recruiting is the life blood of every program and we are starting to see a bit of a dip in that area.   Coach B has some work to do this summer to get this program back on track. 


Update: Ricky Dole announced this afternoon he is transferring as well.  Michigan is now at it's scholarship limit for next year.   After a solid freshman year, Ricky saw his game and playing time drop this year.  

--------------------------------------

J'Marick Woods commits to Michigan yesterday!

Woods is a 3 star to all the services minus Scout which ranks him as a 4.  ESPN, Rivals and 247 all have Woods near 4 star status and he could move up with some summer camps and a good senior season. 

Woods is the type of hybrid player Jimmy and Don Brown loves.  He is 6'4 and 200 pounds and could play corner but is probably headed for a Safety or even a hybrid LB role.   He is known to be a good run stopper and has the size to match-up with TE's in coverage. 

He has a nice offer list that includes the likes of: Florida, Duke, PSU, VA Tech, Louisville, Miss State, Tennessee, UK, Wake, GA Tech and Vandy.   It seems the young man is a good student as well with the likes of Wake, Duke, Vandy and GA Tech offers.

Woods should get a chance to compete for playing time right away as he plans on enrolling in January.  He will have spring practice and Michigan is losing starters Delano Hill and Dymonte Thomas to graduation.   Michigan will also be looking for more safeties/DB's in this class and seem to be in good shape with Jaylen Kelly-Powell and AJ Harris.


No comments: