Friday, April 12, 2019

Michigan Friday: What To Watch During The Spring Game

I don't expect it to be a game and more of a padded practice.  It also won't be on TV, so many of us will have to rely on social media and TV highlights.

If your attending this is what I would look for:

  1. Speed in Space - What does the offense look like?  Is it pass heavy and does Michigan show tempo.  
  2. Is RB a disaster?   Yes, its Spring but this position has little to no depth.
  3. DE - This position took a huge hit this off season.  Are the guys able to rush the passer?
  4. LB - Who will replace Bush?
  5. Ambry Thomas - Is he ready to be a superstar?
  6. Tarik Black - Is he healthy and ready to dominate the Big Ten?
  7. Oliver Martin - Does he have a role on this team?
  8. Where is Ben Mason playing? I actually think its really bad news that he is playing DE and is a huge red flag that Michigan is lacking depth at that position. 
I don't have any concern at the QB's and expect them to look good and bad as they still have under 15 practices learning a new offense.   You might want to wish Brandon Peters "good luck", as this is probably the last time we see him in a Michigan uniform.

If you make it out, have fun and I hope the weather holds.  

  • You have to love this:  Chris Partridge who has been on Michigan's staff 5 years or so, said this:
“I’ve got blood in my mouth,” Partridge said. “There’s no qualms about it. So yeah – for me, the motivation is how (it ended) last year. I don’t wake up a day and not think about it, that’s for sure. I know Don feels the same way.
“I want to be candid: those guys left, and it was another shot. It’s wasn’t okay! That’s how I feel, I’m not speaking for anyone else. I’m ultra-motivated. I make sure my guys that I get in front of, that they hear it, and they know that every single day when I wake up, I’m motivated. I want to take this thing, I want to hit it in the mouth, I want to go get it.
“I just think each person is motivated their own way, but I just know my personal opinion: I’m going to coach harder than I ever imagined I can coach. I’m going to be more aggressive than I ever have been before, and we’re going to try to make sure that scoreboard never looks like it did last year.”
Deep Thoughts:  If Michigan is "the team up North" - Does that make Jimmy the King of the North?  
Enjoy the game, the Masters, and the Game of Thrones on Sunday.  

1 comment:

Voice of Reason said...

You know, FWIW, we still need to keep in mind that professionals regardless of their line of work normally has a different mindset than students and fans. Coaches are normally considered within the mercenary category. If a better position or more money presents itself then they move on. We get that and so do head coaches, that is why they keep some sort of unofficial list of replacement coaches in mind when someone from their staff moves on.

However, students and fans want everyone to have the same loyalty that they have. We expect our coaches to hate osu the way we do. Mattison understood the thinking and he knew how the Michigan fan base would react. He could have gone to almost any other school to be a DC but he didn't. He went to Michigan's most hated rival osu. That spoke more loudly than anything he could have said verbally. He even used the "that school up north" phrase that Woody Hayes used because he couldn't stand to put the name Michigan in his mouth. That is why I am convinced that his going THERE, was his way of making a statement to Michigan. Something happened that we the public don't know about. I think coach Partridge also heard the same thing and it left a bitter taste within his mouth.

Coach Al Washington's leaving is somewhat understandable since his family was there and he wasn't completely invested in Michigan. We knew that this osu move was a shot over the Michigan bow for this new osu head coach and now Michigan has to decide if it wants to fire back. Coach Partridge says yes he will. IMHO!!!