Monday, October 29, 2007

Monday's Buckeye Report: PSU Edition

“White Out”…….Shmite Out!!!!!

For the third time this year, Ohio State ventured into dangerous territory (conference games…on the road….at night) and came away with another impressive victory. This one was 37-17 in Happy Valley. First the “Gold Out” at Minnesota, then the “Black Out” at Purdue and last night in front of 110,000+ Penn State fans and their famous “White Out” game. I think the idea of “Insert Team Color Here….Out” games is getting a little old. Since Michigan refuses to play night games at home I guess I’ll never get to see what a “Maize Out” would look like in the Big House. Too Bad!!!!!

I have to admit that I was a little nervous about this game. After all, Ohio State suffered its last regular season loss two years ago in this same game. Having been to several big night football games (OSU-Texas, ND-Michigan) I know how crazy the fans can be after a day of tailgating in the sun. Add a little white paint and who knows what might happen. Watching Corso put the Brutus Head on during College GameDay didn’t help. How did the Buckeyes respond you ask? Well, I think they turned in their most complete game of the year. Todd Boekman went 19-26 for 253 yards and 3 touchdowns and Beanie Wells adds another 130+ yards on the ground. The Silver Bullets were not able to match pervious performances but giving up only 10 points isn’t all that bad. My pre-game prediction of 27-17 was looking strong until Morelli decided to gift wrap a pick-6 to for Malcolm Jenkins and the Buckeye Special Teams decided not to tackle on the ensuing kick-off. Oh well.

I think the story of the game was Ohio State offense refusing to be intimidated by the fans and the atmosphere in Beaver Stadium or the Nittany Lion defense. Taking the opening kick-off down the field for a field goal helped to quiet the crown and generate some much needed momentum. Responding to Penn States subsequent touchdown drive with one of our own may have been bigger. The first 20 minutes of the game proved to me that this offense can be as big an asset as the defense. I like that balance. I also like the big play capability the offense is starting to show on a regular basis. 2002 offense…..this aint!

In summary:

· OK, it has been demonstrated that the Buckeyes can be run on….a little. I got a little tired of being gashed by Kinlaw in the first half. It seemed he like he ran for way more than 83 yards. It made me wonder what a healthy Mike Hart would hang on us.

· I’m still a little down on Boekman throwing the long ball. I know….I know, Robiskie and Small keep catching them and some even result in long touchdowns but come on…..Small was 7 yards past the closest defender and had to slow up to catch the pass on the first touchdown drive. That should have been an easy six. Just a little less air under the ball would make me happier.

· The Buckeyes tied (with Michigan…..who else) the all time Big 10 record for consecutive conference wins (19). A win next week against Wisconsin would break the tie.

· I love the fact that the offense is matching the defense performance for performance. I think that team “balance” will have a huge role in determining how the next three weeks work out.

· I’m getting a little tired of hearing about how the Buckeyes are overrated at #1 in the BCS. Who else has played as consistently this year? Who else has won all the games they were supposed to win and even some that many had as questions on the schedule. I still believe this was/is a bit of a rebuilding year for the Buckeyes. They may or may not deserve the #1 ranking in the BCS. They may or may not make it back to the BCS Championship Game. They may not win the game even if they do make it back. But I’ll tell you one thing.....you better start giving the Buckeyes a little love now because next year the team is going to be a wrecking crew. I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

· Let’s see…….offensive balance + defensive dominance + back at the Shoe…..34 – 13.

· 19 more days!!!!!

See you next week.
Buckeye John

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michigan does do Maize outs, but it's not scheduled for OSU.

Too many people remember OSU - Florida in the national championship game to be ready to crown the buckeyes. I think many people believe OSU would have a couple of losses if they played in the SEC.

Anonymous said...

My point about the "Maize Out" was that since UM doesn't schedule night games (I'll never understand or appreciate that decision as I think emotional night college football games are the most exciting sporting events....UM is missing the boat on that) we'll never get to see what the Big House would look like awash in Maize....at night. I'm sure it would look pretty cool.

Totally understand the sentiment about OSU-Florida game. I still have a small hole in my heart from watching that game. Since OSU (or UM for that matter) don't play in the SEC, I think that arguement is a litle weak. My point was that of all the teams at the top of the BCS standings only the top two (BC included) have taken care of business week-in and week out. To me...that's the one of the critical factors in determining who's #1.