Michigan had a historic visit weekend last year where they received 8 commits to the 2013 class. Michigan may never repeat such a successful recruiting weekend but next weekend (2/22-2/24) is setting up to be a key visit weekend for the 2014 class. Here are a list of the possible/expected visitors:
- Commit LB Mike Ferns: Mike has been doing some recruiting and will be in A2 to sell the Wolverines to the other recruits. Mike also has some type of announcement today that he will release on his twitter account this afternoon.
- Commit QB Wilton Speight will make his first visit has a committed player to the Wolverines. He is coming to do the same thing Mike is doing. He also plans to throw to some of the WR's that will be visiting as well.
- The Florida 3: OL Mason Cole, WR's Artavis Scott and (2015) George Campbell. Here is an article on all 3. Mason has liked the Wolverines for some time and might be on commit watch next weekend.
- WR Drake Harris (soft commit to MSU) recruitment has been well documented from changing his mind from wanting to play basketball to playing football full time. He has opened up his recruitment and Wilton has been tweeting him. Wilton is expected to throw with Drake during the visit.
- LB Kyle Berger is 6'3 205 from Cleveland. He was interested in taking visits later this summer but Michael Ferns convinced him to visit next weekend with him. Kyle plays LB at the same school that gave us Jake Ryan. Kyle has all the offers you might expect from OSU, MSU, Michigan and Tennessee.
- DE Malik McDowell is an instate 4 star prospect. He has offers from the likes of Florida, Michigan, Stanford, OSU, Wisconsin and ND and more. Malik might be the top HS prospect in Michigan for the 2014 class.
- RB Elijah Hood is considered a 5 star player and one of the top 20 football players in the 2014 class is expected in.
- DE Lawrence Marshall instate prospect in the last week who has committed and de-committed to OSU and visited both MSU and Michigan. He will also be in Ann Arbor for the big visit weekend.
This is a huge visit weekend for the Wolverines. I don't expect too many commitments but having this much talent in one place get recruits thinking how special the 2014 class could be and that they all could end up in the same uniform in Ann Arbor. They all will be attending the Illinois game at Crisler.
With only 16 spots available right now in the 2014 class (I expect it will be around 20 when it's all said and done) could push kids to make an early decision if they want to be Wolverines.
Coming in this weekend: DB Parrker Westphal a 6'0 DB whose coach is a name you might remember in former Wolverine DB Todd Howard. Parrker has been interested in the Wolverines since this past summer. I don't expect a commitment but it wouldn't surprise me either. Parrker has offers from pretty much the entire Big Ten.
Visiting on Presidents Day is 2014 TE Daniel Helm.
2014 TE Nic Weishar is visiting Michigan on March 10. Ferns has been recruiting Nic.
- We got some clarity on Fitz's injury. It's a broken fibula.