Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Michigan Tuesday: Monday's News Wasn't All Bad

Michigan fans started Monday night with some good news for the "other" program on campus.   I'm told the Wolverines also play a little football and they added another piece of the 2019 puzzle on Monday night with the commitment of 3 star DE Gabe Newburg.  


Gabe is a rated a 3 star DE prospect and is from Clayton, Ohio.  Gabe had offers from the like of Cincinnati, Harvard, Iowa, and Michigan State.  He is 6'5 and 230 pounds and has been a life-time Michigan fan.  Gabe is also new coach Al Washington's first victory at Michigan on the recruiting trail.   This is Michigan's 3rd DE in the class, which they may need as Stephen Herron has been rumored to be leaning more toward Stanford then Michigan lately.   If Herron stays in the class, I expect the Wolverines are probably done with DE's.


"That’s a dream offer man. I've been a Michigan fan my whole life," Newburg told 247's Brice Marich upon the offer. "My whole family is actually. I just told him how long I’ve been waiting for this one and showed him pictures of my house on game day and the 'M Den' inside my house. He stood up gave me and my parents a huge hug and said, ‘You guys are my kind of people.' My mom and dad were with me. My dad was very pumped up and my mom got tears in her eyes (when I got the offer).”


Here are a few thoughts from his head coach in high school:


"I knew Gabe was going to be a special player the first time I saw him play in 8th grade. I was the defensive coordinator at the time, I hadn’t taken over the program yet, and literally, without exaggerating, he made every tackle in the game," Northmont head coach Tony Broering told Allen Trieu of 247Sports in February. "It was something I hadn’t ever seen before and I’ve coached 27 years. I’ve coached 27 years, coached players who have played major college football, played in the Big Ten and had the Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year before and it was something I hadn’t witnessed. I knew he was special. I knew he had motor and drive, but didn’t know how he would grow and develop, but then he started as a sophomore for us. He was thrown in a little bit, and then this year, as junior, he just was dominant. He’s very long, he has the length everybody likes, he’s a very strong kid who likes the weight room, likes to work out, and is dedicated to his craft on as a defensive lineman."


I embedded his video but it kept playing and was driving me crazy.   So hit this link if you would like to see his Junior highlights! 

No comments: