Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Michigan Tuesday: The Don and Josh Show

Sounds like a new show on Nickelodeon, as both Coordinators answered questions yesterday as Jimmy took the day off from the media during the bye week.

I watched both interviews and tried to gardener what they were saying even though everything was spun mostly positive.

Don Brown is full of personality, he is the guy you could have a beer with and think your best friends after two beers. Don's son called him and asked why they didn't play a 4 man front against Army?  Which is exactly what I would have asked.   Don thinks Glasgow is one of the best defensive players in the Big Ten, he also doesn't have a true position.   So Don preferred to keep Glasgow on the field to try to stop the option pitch play.   Ok, I can see that and Michigan seemed to do a decent job against the pitch.  The issue is Army was killing the Wolverines at 4 yards a pop with the FB dive.   Keep the beef in first and second down!   Don also continued to mention how difficult it is to prepare and play Army and is looking forward to getting back to playing Michigan defense against Wisconsin.  He said they had to prepare for the Run and Shoot week 1 and the triple option week 2.

Don also sent in the play where the FB started to crawl towards the line of scrimmage on the goal line.  When I saw that, I wondered how it was a legal play even if he re-set.

Josh was also very positive and talking about what went right against Army.  The issue with the offense is the drive killers which include 7 fumbles, 10 penalties, and 7 drops.    I would also include 1 missed field goal and 2 change of possession on 4th down.   Josh feels that is the #1 concern with the offense right now, protecting the ball.   Which I would agree with.

Both Jimmy and Josh said that Shea was healthy (Josh did say that Shea was dealing with an oblique injury from the MTSU game but wasn't limited in the game) and had the ability to keep the ball on the option plays.  If I can read between the lines, it also seems both are not happy with the amount of time Shea is taking in the pocket to throw the ball.  Right now I see a senior QB that is lacking confidence and trying to "over think" the game.  I'm sure he is a bit banged up but has to play better if this team is going to compete in Madison and beyond.

I think Don Brown has too much power on the defensive side of the ball.  I don't believe his formations were sound against Army and there needs somebody checking his game plans and theories.   Turnovers are offensive killers and right now Shea seems to be the issue.   He needs to play better or he is going to end up like Quinn Nordin, who has clearly lost his confidence.  I'm guessing practice Shea is much different then game day Shea right now.


6 comments:

Brady2017 said...

Great insight, I totally agree with the assessment of the Army game. This is hands down the best Michigan blog out there!

MichiganMan said...

I don't know guys I hope we play much better....if not I see us going 8-5 or worse....

Cormac said...

>Both Jimmy and Josh said that Shea was healthy . . . .

I know that Jimmy said that. He says a lot of things.

But I clearly remember hearing and reading that Gattis said that Shea was dealing with an oblique (injury) since the first play with MTSU.

EzmoB said...

Oblique injury is correct. That injury just isn't going to go away. Every time he gets hit he will feel it. Every time he throws the ball and his waist twists, he will feel it. Shea is not going to be himself as long as the injury lingers around. I really think next two weeks coach Harbaugh needs to start looking at Dylan. Dylan is a better runner and is more accurate with the throws. Plus he can throw a dime past 30 yards. I can't say the same for Shea.

Cmfgoblue said...

Seems to me that Dylan and Zach would be a special combo... they would get several years to play together... time to make him the starter...ryan hayes is young... mayfield is young as well... ruiz will be here along time as well... great wrs....come on BIG BLUE unleash that talent!!

Bob said...

Cormac, you are correct. Josh did say that and I was more referring to that Shea wasn't limited in the game and could have pulled the ball and ran. With that said, I did miss represent that. Good catch!