Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wolverine Wednesday: #Free David Ojabo

Evening Express 
If your golfer with deep pockets, being stuck in Scotland for a few month is not a bad thing (as long as the golf courses are open!).   That is not the case for Michigan redshirt freshman DE David Ojabo, who left the US when COVID hit to be with his family in Scotland for a few weeks.  Those few weeks have turned into 3+ months.

“As soon as we got signs the whole world was going to shut down, I was like, ‘Nah, I can’t be stuck in America, I need to be with my family,’” said Ojabo, who turned 20 on May 17, the first time in four years he was able to celebrate with family. “I only get to go home once a year. Last year I didn’t go home at all. I was away from home a year. So I was like, ‘Nah, there’s no way I’m going to be stuck (in the U.S.) My whole family is going to be there without me, not knowing when I’ll be back, not knowing if there’s even going to be a season.’”

David is working out daily and even playing soccer with friends.  He is also getting some great food with mom's home cooking.    Shaun Nua is in constant contact with David and keeping him updated and supporting him just like he was in Ann Arbor, even though David misses his teammates and working out with Coach Herb.  

The road to get back to Ann Arbor is a bumpy one.  He thought maybe he could get back through Canada but that was shot down.   There is also a crazy option of flying to Australia,  being in quarantine for two weeks and then flying to the US.  

Good Luck to David and hopefully there will be a season and an opportunity for him to come home to Ann Arbor soon.  

No comments: