Thursday, March 27, 2008

Boren Ultimatum

Justin Boren released a statement yesterday about why he left the Wolverines:

“Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.“I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. ... That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave.”

"I regret leaving behind my friends and teammates, but I need to stand up for what I know is right. I wore the winged helmet with pride, whether we won or (lost), whether things were going well or times were tough.

Coffee is for Closers and Respect is for Winners. I'm sorry Justin but you continue to sound like a guy that didn't want to work to become a champion. Do you remember waking up on Sunday, September 2nd when "your family team" was the laughing stock of the entire country? Or how about a week later when Oregon came into the Big House and embarrassed you and your team again? Or when OSU came into the Big House again and beat you? How was the family then? Was everyone happy at the dinner table? I can tell you the supporters of your team family, was not!

I'm all for team chemistry and working together but there's a lot of hard work that goes in to becoming #1. I heard whispers that Jake Long was continually disappointed at the lack of work the other Offensive Linemen put in everyday. Justin, I thought you might have learned something from one of the best Offensive Linemen Michigan ever had. I guess you didn't. Yesterday, I didn't enjoy seeing that you left the team. Today, I'm happy you did.

BTW: For those of you that are worried about guys leaving the team because RR is too tough or the system is different. In 1969 before Bo was hired Michigan had about 150 players on the team (it was before scholarship limits). After spring practice/start of the fall they had about 75 left. This happens when there is a coaching change. Don't be surprised if there is a couple more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on, Blogger Bob.

Fat and happy can lead to failure as it did in 2007 for the UofM football program.

The number one concern of the new UofM football coach, after watching films of 2007 games, was the lack of speed of Michigan players. He attributes that to conditioning and attitude...which is correctable.

When the kitchen is too hot for you, it is best that you get out of it.