Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Michigan Tuesday: Former Michigan RB Recruit Lied to USC

After and during the Army All American game last year, there was a number of rumors that running back Dillon Baxter was showing some new interest in attending Michigan.   Those rumors lasted only a few weeks as Dillon picked Lane Kiffin and USC.  

When the NCAA dropped the penalties on USC another report came out that 5 schools had illegally contacted Dillon while enrolled at USC.  Those schools were Florida, Alabama, Washington, Oregon and Fresno State.  Those allegations turned out to be false and USC had to write a letter apologizing to those 5 programs. 

So what happened?  In a letter to USC here is what Dillon had to say:

In the short letter, Baxter explains that he talked to friends at Florida, Michigan, Alabama and Fresno State on the day the sanctions were announced.

"We discussed what I wanted to do and how I felt about the sanctions," Baxter wrote. "From that point, the situation got blown out of proportion."
"The fact are not such. I was not contacted by other schools but it was me talking to my friends about what I was going to do," Baxter wrote.

He added: "I am truly sorry for all of the chaos I have caused and it was not my intention to implicate other schools and their coaching staffs. I realize my actions do not represent how I was raised and the type of person I am. I would like everyone to know that I will do a better job thinking before I act."

I can only guess who the player was at Michigan that he contacted but it seems likely its Tate Forcier.
 

  • Steven Threet will know if he is the starter for ASU on Monday.  Here is a quote from the article about the scrimmage which Michigan fans can relate:    Threet had a chance to throw a touchdown on his last drive, but missed an open Taylor in the end zone.

  • With depth issues in the defensive backfield we know Jordon Kovacs will see more time this year with the #1 unit. 

  • Valdez Showers a 2011 Michigan CB is expected to announce his decision this week.  My best guess is: Florida Gators.

  • The Michigan Basketball team is 0-2 so far in Europe.   Youth, poor shooting and turnovers seem to be the issue.

  • More news from Toledo: A top 2012 recruit Chris Wormley attended Michigan's fan day.  No it wasn't an official visit, he is just a fan of the Wolverines.  Chris is a 6'5 DE and could be one of the best players in Ohio in the 2012 class and predicted to be a 4 to 5 star prospect.  "Ohio State has shown me the most love so far, so they lead," Wormley told the site. "Anything can happen in two years though. I'm probably going to wait until signing day, so I still have a long time to go. I still root for Michigan on Saturdays, and I'm a fan of them, so we'll see."
 
 

No comments: