|John T. Greilick / The Detroit News|
Overall grade = D-
I don't think Michigan could have played any worse today, I'm still not sure how they won the game. Michigan was a 37 point favorite and won by 4 points. Akron had lost 27 straight road games and was 3 yards away from beating the #11 team in the nation in their own stadium.
- Michigan won the game
- Devin "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" Gardner has to stop. 3 picks, 1 fumble and one of his picks went for a TD. Unacceptable against any opponent. Yes, he won the game as well with the plays he made but he almost lost it with his mistakes. Funchess should have caught the one pick that hit his helmet.
- Where is the run game? Fitz is either breaking off a 20 yard run or getting stopped for no gain.
- Michigan got out coached by Akron's coaching staff
- The secondary played poorly for most of the game.
- Still no pass rush, unless GMat blitzes
- Holding penalties cost Fitz and the offense a number of first downs and about an extra 60 yards rushing.
- Special Teams also were poor; can't field a punt, missed field goal, and poor punts.
- Felt like a Rich Rod game
I didn't see much of anything Michigan improved on this week. It was an embarrassing win if there is such a thing. Lets hope this young team learned something and this haze/letdown isn't carried on the road next week.