| Chris Wormley gets the block! |
David Guralnick, Detroit News
The important stat of the game was the final score of 51-14. Michigan threw the ball well and played incredible special teams in blocking multiple punts and a field goal. I like how when Central Florida put a ton of guys in the box to stop the run, Michigan passed and passed effectively. Wilton played well and threw for over 300 yards, 4 TD's and more importantly didn't throw a pick.
With all that said, I thought the Wolverines didn't have their best game on Saturday. The offensive line was not able to find a running game and UCF ran for 275 yards. Michigan ran for a total of 119 yards. Most of UCF's yards were on a few plays but those still shouldn't happen against a Michigan defense. I can see the QB break away for one nice run, but UCF QB's had 67 yards total yards on the ground. I don't even want to talk about that 87 yard sweep for a TD. Michigan's leading rusher was Smith with a total of 38 yards on ten carries.
- Wilton was sharp all day (does he have a strange throwing motion?)
- The Michigan offense is flexible enough to adjust during the game
- UCF had 56 passing yards
- Special teams had a great game
- Gary had a 1/2 a sack and two TFL's
- Peppers was everywhere
- No injuries
- The offensive line run blocking
- The defense giving up 275 yards on the ground
- Michigan's top rusher had 38 yards
- 87 yard TD should never happen
- Butt had a couple of drops (did have an overall nice game)
I know Jimmy was trying to send a few messages by keeping the starters in the game. I would have liked to see O'Korn play the entire 4th quarter. I think he needs experience playing in this offense if he is needed.
Next week, Michigan will play a real opponent in the Big House. Colorado has an senior laded team and also has two blowout wins under their belt. I expect the team will work on a few things this week in practice.