|David Guralnick, Detroit News|
When Michigan is down 21-7 and we just watched Louisville embarrass #2 FSU , I thought Michigan might have a hard time stopping the Buffalos at any point on Saturday. I had a few choice words in my head ready and waiting for Mr. Don Brown. I'm also yelling things like Michigan never plays well on BTN and I hate Matt Millen.
Then Don Brown put the #1 recruit in the nation in the game and Gary responded. The defensive line finally started creating a pass rush and putting pressure on the senior QB Liufau. Eventually, it even knocked him right out of the game after a Wormley tackle.
As far as the offense, Michigan started the game running the ball well but kept throwing incompletions. At one point, I was calling for O'Korn because his mobility was something I thought Michigan needed. I was wrong, the running game kept going and Speight started to find his mid-range passing game to Jake Butt. By the end of the third quarter, it was evident that Michigan's large offensive line was wearing down Colorado's defensive front.
That touchdown right before halftime was huge and the difference in the game.
I haven't mentioned Jabrill yet. He had his best day in a Wolverine jersey and was freaking everywhere. He had 9 total tackles, 3.5 TFL's, 1 Sack, 2 rushes for 24 yards, 2 KO returns for 81 yards, and 4 punt returns for 99 yards and a TD. There wasn't a better player on the field (well the greatest QB of all time was actually on the field!).
Lets get to the cheers and jeers:
- Peppers was fantastic!
- Jake Butt clearly didn't enjoy dropping a couple of balls last week. He caught 7 for 87 yards.
- The offensive line opened some nice holes for the running backs
- Smith ran hard
- Gary was a difference maker when he got in the game.
- The overall team didn't fold when they got down big at the start
- The punt team, got two blocks and had some nice returns from Pepp. It kept Michigan in the game early.
- Wilton had a few highlights but struggled most of the game. I thought he was hurt after the fumble, because he couldn't get the ball to the WR's. That scramble and throw to Perry was his best play of the day. He was 16 of 30.
- Don Brown has to have a better plan when Michigan plays spread teams. He did adjust but Michigan can't get behind big against OSU for example and win that type of game. Ask Oklahoma.
- Kenny Allen- his punts seem to be line drives and missed two very makeable field goals. A couple of extra points didn't look good either.
- Michigan's safeties had a tough day deep. Michigan needs Jourdan Lewis to get healthy quick and take some pressure off the safeties.
- Nike for not making a #5 Jersey
Yesterday cleared up a lot of questions in college football. Ohio State is for real and the talent and experience Michigan many had thought in the off season is now equal or trending higher for the Buckeyes. Michigan State is also for real after taking it to ND in South Bend. Those two road games are going to be very tough for the Wolverines and they will need to play much better then they did yesterday. Luckily, Michigan now has a great coaching staff and can fix issues they witnessed in the game.
Michigan's next two games are against Penn State and Wisconsin at home. Neither play the spread and I expect Michigan could look pretty good against both teams. Michigan also really needs Jourdan Lewis and Taco back. I hope they are healthy for Penn State.