|David Guralnick Detroit News|
This went the way I thought it would. I knew Michigan wasn't going to blow out the Spartans now on a 0-6 streak. MSU always plays above their level when they see Maize and Blue on the other side of the field.
In fact, I'm sure many Wolverine fanes were nervous at two points in the game, #1 after the opening drive and #2 in the 4th quarter when it looked like MSU was building a comeback. Finally, the better team won the game and even when MSU out rushed the Wolverines. (MSU out rushed the Wolverines 217 to 192) The difference in the game was the passing yards, where Michigan lead 244 to 188. (Most of MSU yards came late in the 4th)
I loved the way Michigan played in the first half, the second half was a different story. I thought Michigan wasn't aggressive enough on either side of the ball in the second half and left the door slightly open for the Spartans. Michigan scored a disappointing 5 points in the second half and let MSU score 13. Dantonio coached like a guy that didn't have the talent or depth to compete with the second ranked Wolverines. He was right and the Wolverines talent was the difference in the game.
I hated the 4th quarter 3rd down call that ended a drive with a RB dive with Share Morris in the game. That was the worst call of the game from the Michigan staff, when a scoring drive could have sealed the game.
Either way a win is a win and this one came over the Spartans. It wasn't pretty but it's a box the Wolverines needed to check to reach its goals. Its nice to finally have a win against a rival in East Lansing.
- Darboh had his best game as a Wolverine
- Peppers tried to do everything and almost did
- Wilton had a nice game, the INT could have been a better throw but he thought he had a wide open RB.
- McDoom continues to make a difference in the game
- Kenny Allen getting back his confidence!
- The coaching was very strong most of the game for the Wolverines
- The DL didn't get much of a push and MSU got over 200 yards on the ground
- Pass rush was hit and miss
- Too many stupid penalties on defense
- MSU completed too much in the air at the end of the 4th quarter
- Michigan's D had it's worst outing of the year
- ESPN not showing the Michigan players grabbing the Paul Bunyan
Time to take care of business against Maryland at home and then look ahead to the trip to Iowa. Its nice to finally exercise the ghosts of the recent past.