Friday, February 4, 2022

Michigan Friday: Honesty is Such a Lonely Word

on3.com

Billy Joel released this song in 1978 on a record called 52nd Street.   The rest of the chorus is.......

♪ Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue
Honesty is hardly ever heard
And mostly what I need from you  

John U Bacon went on twitter this morning saying that you can't compare Jimmy's trip to Minneapolis anything like a marriage to Michigan.   It's a bad analogy for anyone that has left a job for another one.  

Here are some news bytes right from the horse's mouth (interview by Mitch Albom):

“In a nutshell, I love Michigan,” he explained in a phone call to me Thursday evening. “I love every player. I love every family.”

“There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn’t get it. Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the (Minnesota) Vikings.

“For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, ‘I’m gonna have 100 percent conviction on this, and if they (Minnesota) have 100 percent conviction on this, then it’s something I’m gonna do.”

First-class people.” But there wasn’t an equal match of enthusiasm.

“I’m an honest person,” he said. “There was a large pull there (for the NFL.) But I didn’t feel it was that way for both parties. And that’s it. That’s my mindset now.”

So that chapter is closed?

“Yes.”

You are 100% dedicated to Michigan?

“Yes. ... Actually, I told Warde, ‘From here on out, I’m working at the pleasure of the University of Michigan, because that’s, in my heart, where I want to be.”

Everyone lies about these situations.  How close was Saban going to Texas?  There are millions of these types of conversations we will never know about.   I'm not a fan of what happened over the last month.  But was it worth it for clarity for Harbaugh? If he doesn't chase another NFL job and turns down future NFL offers, then it will be.   Hard to predict the future and that "tugging" he mentioned is not easily extinguished.   Being skeptical as a Michigan fan, is also fair.  But let's not bang on Harbaugh for being honest and chasing his dream.   

We all have tugging, where we did and didn't do anything about.   Yours truly, had a tugging to be part of Sports one way or another.   That's when I started the blog.  I didn't have insiders, wasn't a writer (as everyone that reads this blog daily can tell), wasn't a trained broadcaster and wasn't looking to make money.   I just wanted a platform to share my thoughts on my favorite team.   Millions of you have read it and I appreciate it.  

This was not a good situation for a month, it's over and Michigan still has a very good head coach that has been willing to change to make his program better.   Harbaugh was being honest to his boss, recruits, staff, and himself.   It's time to move on and get a DC hired.  

Speaking of the DC situation, many thought that the Jags would hire Tampa OC Leftwich and he would bring Larry Foote with him as DC.  The Jags hired Doug Pederson last night.   Does that open the door for Larry to go home to Michigan?  He is my first choice because he has done it at Michigan, is a high valued NFL defensive coach, and could recruit Detroit like only Wheat has done prior.  He also brings a hard edge that has been missing from some Wolverine defenses in the past.   Let's get this done.   


15 comments:

Goblu said...

I read the Albom article. Was good, and I agree that JH is diff in that he is honest and transparent. I think that speaks well of him and our program. Don’t see how a reasonable person, more so a parent, wouldn’t want to be around that. Or their kids around that. I agree that this dragged on too long, but it ended well and I applaud JH for how he communicated to individuals who could be impacted by his decision.

Rudy said...

best way to get past all this noise is winning. Winning has a short memory, whereas losing remembers every detail!! Saban is one of the biggest dbag coaches in the league, but he wins so all is forgiven and forgotten. Just win baby! Go Blue!

Goblu said...

Amen, brotha!

Goose said...

This is why you hire an agent and allow them to communicate on your behalf. You get to Pursue other opportunities while maintaining continuity with your current employer. However Jim is a weirdo and won’t do that therefore he has to attempt to control the narrative surrounding his movements and decisions and if we are honest communication is not exactly a strength of his.

MichiganMan said...

Lets go another 12win season baby!! Please start JJ = 3500yds, td = 30,
int = 6, rush yards = 350

Blue for life
No Larry, DJ Durkin Please...

MichiganMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brady2017 said...

Larry Foote has never called a single play on defense. Pretty big leap to assume since he was a great player that he can coordinate a defense.

Voice of Reason said...

I admit, that Harbaugh could have handled this situation better but he was open and above board with what he did. I read the Mitch Albom article and the bottom line is for me I am okay with Harbaugh taking a look albeit I wish he didn't. How many of the coaches on current NCAA and NFL teams aren't constantly keeping their heads on a swivel looking for a higher position? Answer: Almost none of them! If Minnesota called any of them for an interview they would have taken it. Coaches change jobs and teams just like everyone else.

All of us can relate to wanting to "move up" our own professional ladders. How many of us have stayed in the very first job we've ever had and been there for forty years? Answer: Almost none of us! So why would we give Harbaugh grief over going to a job interview? Makes no sense.

Personally I am retired professionally from salaried work. I have two earned doctorate degrees and I can remember wanting to be an Executive Director (CEO) or the top person to run things. I moved from job to job until I could to be the top person having run several programs and managing maybe millions (?) of dollars in budgets. I did all of this because I felt like I was supposed to want to "move up." In hindsight, I would have been happier at some lower level positions. Now, I am self-employed and I work when I want.

I can't blame Harbaugh, you or anyone else for wanting to do the same thing because THAT's a part of our culture and the life that we currently live in. We should embrace him and fully support our entire team. IMHO!!!

MichiganMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MichiganMan said...

I like your take Voice of Reason....I agree!!.

Blue for Life
NO FOOT but DJ....

Goose said...

You know your thinking clearly when Michiganman agrees with you.

Justwin said...

Gattis is gone. I’m ok with that.

Tommertoffo said...

The Harbaugh story is a huge NOTHING-BURGER.
Go out and win.
BTW: "And those who stay will be Champions" and "No Coach is more important than the TEAM." still apply.

But, c'mon, this is more middle school gossip than anything else.

Gattis? A mediocre coach who got an awesome opportunity at Michigan for his personal career. Harbaugh/Michigan took a risk. How does he repay Michigan and Harbaugh?....well, the facts speak for themselves. I wish him the best at Miami, but I hope Michigan promotes Mike Hart to OC or co-OC. I LOVE Mike Hart.

Also, why isn't there talk of paying top dollar to get Tom Brady on staff? Let's get him on the staff. He's a MICHIGAN Man more than any other.

MichiganMan said...

How about Bill O'Brian .. or Kansas City Chiefs Eric Bellamy...?

Beautiful life
Blue for life

szanreno said...

Yeah let's get Tom Brady. Guy's never coached a down. Same as Larry Foote. Great players don't always translate. Great ideas.