Monday, April 1, 2024

Michigan Monday: No April Fools Jokes Here

My late father loved April Fools Day.  When we were young kids on Spring Break, he said the hotel was offering free elephant rides today.  All I had to do was call the front desk and reserve a spot.   Then when I was an adult working in A2 at Bell + Howell/UMS he sent me a Hedgehog for some type of charity event.  Miss you Dad. 


This weekend Sherrone completed his on-field coaching staff again after Greg Scruggs flamed out quickly.   He hired current Co-DC/DL Coach from Memphis Lou Esposito.   Lou had only been with the Tigers since January after being the DC at Western Michigan for 6 years.  Even though Lou played at Memphis, he knows Michigan.  2010-12 he was the DL coach at Western for the first time, 2013 he was the DC at Ferris State, 2014-16 he coached at Davenport and then 2017 back to Kalamazoo. 

To sum up my text's when the news broke on Friday, I got this question a few times:  Is this a good hire?

My response:  I don't know but his name sounds right!  After some research, it seems Lou is a hard worker, can develop DLineman, good recruiter, has an eye for talent, has the respect of Michigan HS coaches, and a great hire for the Wolverines.  If FSU DT Braden Fiske name sounds familiar, he was recruited and developed by Lou before he transferred to Florida State and became a 3rd team All-American last season. 

Welcome Sweet Lou and enjoy some of the best talent on the defensive line in the country.  

  • Congratulations to Michigan Hockey for beating MSU and earning a Frozen 4 Berth! Michigan scored 2 goals in 12 seconds to secure the win in the 3rd! 
  • Is tonight the biggest night for NCAA Women's Basketball ever?
  • Christian Anderson Jr. decommits from Michigan Basketball on Friday as well.  My response, Ok.  Let's let Dusty cook and bring in his own players. 


6 comments:

Ron said...

Congrats to the hockey team 👍 sweet Lou he knows defensive line too

Goblu said...

Goal #4 yesterday was one of the best passes I've ever seen.

No clue about the Lou hire, so I'm just hoping it's a good one.

Brady2017 said...

I agree with Bob. Lets let Dusty bring in his type of players. Juwan's didn't exactly work out. I think we have one recruit still committed for next season and he's a good one, Durrell Brooks. He's Michigan's Mr. Basketball and shot 48% from three. That's impressive.

Brady2017 said...

If I were Dusty, I'd give that kid Jack Goilke from Oakland U. a call. Can never have enough good shooters. And he's got tourny experience! Sounds like Townsend is turning pro.

Brady2017 said...

Coaching the D line isn't rocket science. Know your assignments, explode off the ball, contain, and keep driving till you hear the whistle. Now its a little interesting when you get into techniques (ask Hutchinson). It's almost like a wrestling match.

Brady2017 said...

I like the M hockey uniforms. Just Maize and Blue, no white on the numbers. Looked a little like the football jerseys. Maybe the basketball team should try something like that?