Friday, May 24, 2024

Michigan Friday: Ricky Was Looking For The Bright Lights

Michigan will continue its winning formula by doing two things next season at an elite level: Running the football and playing a Lock Down Defense.  To secure the defense, Michigan had to replace a number of lost pieces in the secondary due to NFL, Transfer Portal, and Injury.  They accomplished that last weekend by bringing in 4 guys from the portal in the secondary. 


Ricky Johnson's commit was a bit a surprise for me.  He had already committed to Washington State from UNLV and I didn't even know he was on the Wolverines radar.   He took a visit last weekend and couldn't  say no to the defending National Champions. 

"Well, they just came off the goddamn national championship, so that was a big reason right there," Johnson said laughingly.

"It ain't really (all about) the great facilities and all that. I wasn't really worried about that as an older guy. It's not like I'm coming out of high school anymore. The portal is a little different. What I was really looking for was just getting around the coaches and seeing how they work, what kind of people they were, and seeing the plan that they would have for me at the university when I got here."


Playing for Coach Wink doesn't hurt either:

"Just the opportunity to go get further developed by NFL coaches to get ready for the NFL," Johnson said, explaining why his decision was ultimately a no-brainer. "Especially Coach Martindale, the guys that he's coached, produced, and developed, I want to be a part of that. I want to get ready, and I also want to showcase my abilities on a bigger stage? Just be able to get around coaches from the NFL and get ready to go to the NFL. And I feel like this is the best opportunity for me to do that."

Welcome Ricky! 

Have a great holiday weekend! 

  • Michigan Baseball lost to PSU in the Big 10 Tournament and will now face Illinois in an elimination game tonight. 
  • The new NCAA ruling on paying players looks promising but I have a feeling there are hidden details that might not be great for the athletes.  Wait and see on this one. 
  • How in the world is Scottie Scheffler's Louisville charges not dropped yet?  

2 comments:

Goblu said...

"It's not like I'm coming out of High School"... says a kid 2yrs out of HS! Oh to be young again! He seems like a great kid, nice head on his shoulders. Nice addition.

Brady2017 said...

Ricky was a young boy, he had a heart of stone / Lived nine to five and he worked his fingers to the bone. -Skid Row, 18 and Life