Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wolverine Wednesday: My Pick for Big Ten Divisions (with a little recruiting tossed in)

Everyone and their brother has been writing about how they see the Big Ten divisions playing out after Nebraska comes to the Big Ten.  So I thought I would give you my $.02.  

The best division format I have seen yet comes from Stewart Mandel at SI.com:

East Division with: Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Indiana
West Division is: Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota

I would change the name of the divisions, Penn State is not West.  Stewart also calls for an annual cross over between Michigan and Nebraska.   My thought is Michigan would play two year series with each team in the "other" division a home and home.  Michigan needs to play Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and don't forget the "little brown jug" on a regular basis as well. 

So that is my vote. 

Now on to some news and notes on Recruiting:

Of course none of us really know who the top players are on Michigan's board but I expect Kris Frost the #27 rated player in the nation by rivals is one of them.  Kris was in town this weekend with his family for camp and to take an un-official visit.   TomVh from Mgoblog caught up with him last night and here are Kris thoughts on the trip:

"It went fantastic, it really did. I've been up there for camps for the past two seasons, but I've never really gotten to check out the real campus. My family and I went out and looked at everything, it was great. Coach Singletary took us on the tour, and we went out on our own a bit, too. My family and I really loved it. We're all planning on coming back another time before the season starts, this summer."

Tom also caught up with another camp visitor:  Ray Ball from Ohio:

"It was awesome, I really enjoyed myself. I got to look around at the whole campus, and we got to watch some of the camp, and all the players work out. We got a chance to talk with the coaches, which was great. Those coaches are awesome, and really cool to be around; I really liked them. I also got to meet three of the players on the team that will be freshmen this year. I know next time I come up there, we're going to hang out some more, they were really welcoming and nice."

Ray has Michigan in a top group with UCLA, Wisconsin, and Indiana.

1 comment:

Brian S Hall said...

Penn State in the West? Michigan homer much?

If PSU is in the "west" then we just abandon all geography and have just the one 'division'. Then, top 6 in a playoff!