Sunday, October 24, 2021

Northwestern Post Game

Wolverine Wire - USA Today

I've been trying to reconcile my thoughts and feelings after the game on Saturday and it hasn't been easy.  I was not happy with what my eyes saw but when I look at the score, I thought I might be crazy.  Even ESPN's bottom-line reported "Michigan routes Northwestern" which doesn't nearly tell the story of the game.  I guess that's why we do Cheer and Jeers:

Cheers:

  • Any win is a good win 
  • Corum and Haskins both over 100 yards
  • Great pick by DJ Turner 
  • Great punt block by Corn Johnson
  • Defense made only one really bad mistake all game 
  • 6 yards short of running for 300 yards 
  • JJ continues to show his talent 
Jeers:
  • We need to report Speed in Space kidnapped 
  • Red Zone offense did not improve during the bye week 
  • Michigan's defense bit on way too many miss direction and screens - Josh Ross probably saves the game by reading one and making a good tackle. 
  • 163 yards of passing is not going to beat a ranked team left on Michigan's schedule 
  • Offense is way too predictable 
  • Play calling is lackluster to bad
  • 2 fumbles with one on the 3 yard line to end the half
  • Just kick extra points unless you have to go for 2
  • 10-7 halftime score

My internal struggle is the coaches see the same thing I do and they know they can beat Northwestern being a vanilla Dairy Queen cone.  They are doing this to not show, MSU, PSU, and OSU too much film.  On the other hand, maybe this is the way they want to play and think they can beat everyone running into a loaded box every time.   There are two problems with the second theory.  1 - even a bad defense can stop the run if they know its coming.  2- Its a really bad way to score the needed points to beat a very good team.  

You can disagree with everything I said in this post, but the red zone/goal to goal offense is a problem and that is a fact.  How about we spread them out on the goal line, go 3 wide and get the defense out of the box?  I'll take my chances running Corum and Haskins against that formation any day.   Or run an NFL rub route and get your QB some confidence?

The coaches know this right? They have spent their entire adult life playing and coaching football.  They're seeing what we are seeing, right?  I guess we will see next week.  

Extra thoughts:

-The PSU - Illinois game put the Big Ten back 60 years.    This is also the difference between playing Penn State at Noon or during a Primetime White Out.  

-OSU -  I know they haven't played anyone since the Oregon Ducks, but there out there embarrassing programs.  When are they going to have their Clemson 2021 year?  ABC knew that game was going to be a cake walk and sent a Wednesday night MAC crew to call it. 

-I guess Wisconsin can play some defense.  That Iowa - Wisconsin game is now much better. 

-Cincinnati and Oklahoma should drop in the polls after their close games.  I guess Cincy didn't get my memo on scheduling service academies.  

-We will discuss, Is it JJ time? in more depth next week.  

6 comments:

Goblu said...

Maybe my biggest cheer was that run by Haskins where he (with help) carried 6 NW defenders 10 yards at midfield. That’s power football baby!

Cade seemed to have no zip on the ball, and he def lucked out on a possible pick or two. That fumble before half was horrible - but (always looking for a +)… years past, that would have made Mich come out flat in the 3rd. It didn’t this time. So sometimes it’s small victories.

While I do think JJ has mad with talent, I’m worried putting him in as starter against PSU and Ohio isn’t smart. He’s getting reps, prob not enough passing reps, but is being prep’d for next year. I like how they are using him now.

MichiganMan said...

Michigan is not keeping anything in the bag this is the team we have and this is how they look whether you like it or not.. they're good enough to beat teams that are mediocre or lower but not good enough to beat good team... we will find out how good they are... Like I said before if they win 8 to 10 games a year for me that's good enough

Blu for life
Please fire Don Brown from AZ

Britemiller said...

Jim Harbaugh will not run rub routes he believes it is cheating. I am serious I heard him say it in an interview.

slomjh2 said...

The comment, you have to be able to throw the ball to win against ranked teams in the Big 10 was completely blown up by Illinois against Penn St. How many times do we have to see if you can run the ball well enough you don’t have to throw the ball. It appears the coaches believe that is their best path to a championship and they have far more on the line than any fan. So I will sit back and enjoy the old school Michigan football. It reminds me of my youth watching Bo’s teams pound the ball to championships

Justwin said...

slomjh2 good observation… to a lesser extent Wisc did the same to Purdue (and Purdue did want many are saying - air raid). Have to call smart plays that take advantage of defense’s weaknesses. And balance (not run/pass, but true balance). Good post.

Voice of Reason said...

I'm not a fan of Josh Gattis's overall play calling, especially when he's in the red zone. IMHO!!!