Saturday, September 3, 2022

Post-Game: Vanilla

Michigan got the job done on Saturday but there were some issues and it seemed Michigan wasn't running the entire offense.  Vanilla was the term that came to mind as I was watching the first half.  I thought the Wolverine offense came out flat and the defense overpowered the weak Colorado State squad. 

Let's jump right to the cheers and jeers:

Cheers:

  • Took care of business and won easily 
  • Defense looked very good 
  • Strong pass rush 
  • JJ was electric when he got in 
  • Both RB's are still very good 
  • 2 defensive turnovers - with 1 score 
  • TE's looked good 
  • Roman Wilson broke the game open 
  • Loved seeing the true freshman and transfers making plays 
  • Special Teams are still special
  • 1 penalty, 1 sack, 1 score 
Jeers:
  • Cade was not sharp, if he is not accurate, he is going to lose this QB battle.  Seems he wasn't seeing the field well. 
  • WR's were not involved enough 
  • WR's had some drops 
  • Having trouble scoring TD's in the redzone seems to be back 
  • Sleepy start on offense 
  • Our 5-star CB gave up the only score of the game 
  • Pass protection was not great 
I thought Michigan played much better in the 2nd half than the sleepy first half.   I'm concerned about Cade; this was the first time I've ever seen him nervous and not very sharp at all.  I know you don't want to show much of the offense but that was a very basic package all game.  The WR's have to be more involved.  I also really enjoyed RG3 in the booth. 

Michigan will need to try to get up for 2 worse teams in the next two weeks.  

Other topics:
  • Iowa wins by scoring 7 points with 2 safeties.  Iowa always seems to be embarassing week 1. 
  • Georgia is still really good.  Their TE's are scary. 
  • Does UNC play defense?


2 comments:

Justwin said...

I really like Cade. But man if JJ does well next week, it’s JJ’s team. I’m good with that.

I really wasn’t liking rg3… he just tries to hard.

Feels like this is a high ceiling team. But they def need fire. Aidan singing Billie Jean to get the Lions on fire was great. Can see why he was so loved in AA.

Wonder if Oregon getting wiped out will change some recruits minds…

ScottyDoggs said...

Today, an interesting article appeared in the "Detroit Free Press" about an interview with McNamara. Cade was quite "whiny" and unbecoming of a captain, expressing displeasure with the quarterback decision making progress. My opinion (which is probably highly discounted after my outburst about "Roe vs Wade") My opinion is any time you have a quarter ack that can scamper, you have a 12-man team (sort of) and is quite difficult for the opposing defense. How many times did Ohio State prove that theory on us? JJ has already won the starting position .... If Cade loses this intra-team competition, I will say the chances of him transferring in not even close to zero. at best 75/25 he stays. My "Bucks" beat my most hated team. Not really "my bucks", but if Notre Dame had one, we would never here the end of it. Thank you, "Buckeyes", now off to Dubai!