Friday, January 25, 2008

Cell Block News and Notes: Friday Recruiting

Justin Feagin, QB Recruit



  • Cleveland Plain Dealer says Charlie Batch is now the man you have to go through if your a coach or a school trying to recruit Terrelle Pryor. Hopefully, the rest of the Jeannette business community will stay out of his decision process. The article suggests that "The Vest" is working Charlie to bring TP back to CBus for a visit. Sounds like he is planning a trip out west this weekend to see The Ducks.




  • Pryor speaks about his Michigan visit during his diary entry for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. TP talks about only playing Football in college, not going to Pitt, and taking more visits. He had this to say about his visit to Michigan: I feel better about Michigan since I went there. I took [Steelers backup quarterback] Charlie Batch with me. He's helping me through this whole process. We got every single detail about what they're going to do with me in their offense. I got a good feel for things and a good look at Coach [Rich] Rodriguez. Charlie hit him with the questions about how they're going use me. He asked if they were going to make me a quarterback or am I going to be running all the time? They'll probably use me like they used Pat White at West Virginia, but I would be throwing more. They said they'd teach me some techniques, and I'll be throwing that thing a lot. But they'll use my athleticism on some plays, too.
    It's nice having Charlie there on visits. He asks a lot of the questions. He'll ask a question and I think, 'Oh, that's a good one.'I'd still say it's five schools -- Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, LSU and Penn State. I've visited Ohio State and Michigan. I can't just take two visits. I have basketball games this weekend, so I might go to Oregon the middle of next week, come back and then go to LSU. I might miss a basketball game or two, but it might be against weaker teams.



  • Herbie thinks Michigan will have 6 wins next year. Looking at the schedule I think Michigan possibly will struggle with Wisconsin, Illinois and potential loses at PSU and at OSU. I think at worst we are looking at is 8-4. Come on Herbie?


  • Reports say Michigan may have an offer out to Athlete Leonard Johnson who is considering a number of schools including WVU. The other potential member of the Class of 2008 is Largo (Fla.) High School dual-threat Leonard Johnson. He finished his junior season with 970 yards passing and 13 touchdowns and added 780 more yards on the ground, but the 5-foot-11, 180-pounder is projected as a cornerback in college.Like Sims, Johnson is listed as a soft verbal to Iowa State, but has also received offers from Mississippi, South Florida, Illinois and Iowa in addition to WVU.



  • Martavoius Odoms, Florida WR is planning a Michigan visit next weekend: Odoms is heading to Miami this weekend and will take a trip to see Michigan on Feb. 1. South Florida remains one of his top choices as well.


  • OH OT Patrick Omameh an early Cincinnati commit is taking a Michigan visit this weekend.

  • The Diag is reporting that Shawn Crable and Jamar Adams are nursing injuries and might not play in this weekends Senior Bowl. For those of you that are interested in watching it, please tune into the NFL Network or use the live blog feature at the Diag.

Editorial Comments on recruiting at this point: Rich's staff has been busy in getting new recruits interested in the Wolverines. If Pryor doesn't come to Michigan then 4Star QB BJ Daniels and/or QB Justin Feagins is a must. In fact, the perfect scenario would be for Pryor and Feagins to come to A2. I hope both wait to announce/commit after Pryor does.

BJ Daniels


I think it will be a huge loss if Nick Perry goes to USC. That will be two years in a row, the state's top HS players goes west to Pete Carroll. Hopefully, the Michigan staff can work some magic and keep Nick local where his family can attend every home game. Maybe wild man and S&C coach Mike Barwis can do that mind melt on him! If Mike can't get him excited about being a Wolverine then Pete is selling the sunshine and playing time really well.


I know the staff is working hard on the current commit list and I would love for them all to stay committed to Michigan but I expect we lose at least one. Marcus Witerspoon will get a lot of pressure to stay home and go to Rutgers, Christian Wilson I hope stays and is our next Owen Schmitt, hopefully Mike Martin will stick with his "solid" commitment and not go to ND.


Look for JT Floyd, DB from SC and Tenn. "soft" commit to commit to the Wolverines real soon. He loved his visit and has been quoted as saying: "I would definitely say Michigan fans will be happy, but I'm going to leave it at that," Floyd said after returning home. He is going to visit the Volunteers one more time before he makes his decision public.


I am looking for a bunch of new commits before next weekend. If we go into the last weekend before signing day and we lose a couple verbals and haven't added any, the staff will really have to hustle to make this a top 10 class.


I'm hearing Michigan has a number of recruits coming in this weekend. Somewhere between 5-10 players.


For those of you that are interested in following the soap opera which is Rich Rodriguez separation from Wild West Virgina. There's an update to why Rich doesn't think he needs to pay all of the $4 large.




No comments: