Monday, May 24, 2010

Michigan Monday: Till Tuesday

Voices or Penalties Carry?
I'm in the dark, I'd like to read his mind
but I'm frightened of the things I might find
Oh, there must be something he's thinking of
to tear him away when I tell him that I'm falling in love 
he is 8 - 16, why does he say


Hush hush
keep it down now
voices carry


I try so hard not to get upset
because I know all the trouble I'll get
oh, he tells me tears are something to hide
and something to fear
and I try so hard to keep it inside
so no one can hear


Welcome to Infractions eve or the day before we know how naughty or nice Rich Rod and staff have been over the past two years. 

Tomorrow Michigan will announce their response and self imposed penalties to the NCAA.   Today, Michigan will officially send the documents and tomorrow they will make it public. 

What should we expect?
  • Double the time penalty.  If Michigan was over the practice limit by 15 minutes a day.  The penalty could be a 30 minute practice deduction per day.
  • New and improved practice logs - which we already know have been deployed.
  • Limited use of Quality Control Staff
  • There are two wild cards here:  1) the coach that lied to the NCAA and 2) Michigan being on probation for the Ed Martin stuff.  Michigan has already fired the coach that lied and might also suspend one coaching role for up to a year.  The years of probation is a tricky one.  If Michigan wasn't currently on probation I would guess maybe one or two years.  With Michigan on probation (when the overages happened) I'm guessing maybe 2-3 years total.   
  • We won't know until August if the NCAA found that RR had a 'history" of practice overages.  So I don't believe Michigan will address that in the response. 
It will be interesting to see what Rich's response will be in this matter as well.  Either way, after Tuesday Michigan will be one step closer to putting this behind them.  In most cases the NCAA will take the penalties that the University has levied on themselves and not add additional punishment.   (RR's history is a big wild card on additional penalties).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog entry was right on the money!