Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Michigan Tuesday: Wolverines Grab #26

Michigan had 3 official visitors this week and all 3 were committed to other places (Nebraska, Illinois and Cal).   Michigan has now gotten two players to flip their commitment to the Wolverines.   The first one was offensive lineman Dan Samuelson and now they have received a verbal commitment from DB Reon Dawson from Trotwood-Madison in Ohio.  

"I just felt like it was the best place for me," Dawson explained. "When I went up there, I enjoyed being with my teammates. I know a lot of the players in my class, and that helped. I'm going to have that home-away-from-home feeling."

Reon is a 3 star prospect across the board to Rivals, Scouts and ESPN.   He is 6'2 and 175 pounds and plans on playing corner at Michigan.  "They were preaching to me length and my speed," the prospect explained. "There's not a lot of tall corners out there, and they said that they liked my length. I looked at my highlight tape with the DB coach [Curt Mallory], and were going over stuff that I need to work on, and stuff I did well. Just basically me developing as a player. We looked at all of that, but mainly they like my length and the way I use my body, like my long arms to get a jam on bigger and shorter receivers."

It's clear that the Michigan coaches like taller corners and Reon fits that mold.  It also seems a number of programs noticed as well,  Reon's offer list was pretty nice for a 3 star prospect, which included:  Arizona, Penn State, Illinois, Cincy, WVU, Vandy, Pitt, Virginia, Purdue and others. 

Being 175 pounds and Michigan having a number of corners, it would seem Reon is headed for a red shirt next year.   This will give him time to work on his CB skills and add a few pounds to his frame.  Reon didn't play football his freshman year he was a track star and basketball player.   Which means his ceiling is very high with his size and speed.
2 Down - 2 To Go?

Derrick Green continues to be the top prospect Michigan is chasing and would round off this class with a crown jewel.  Brady (and staff) Hoke did his in-home visit with Derrick yesterday and reports are the visit went very well.   There is also news about a new visitor in late January. 

ESPN is reporting that TE Durham Smythe from Texas will visit Ann Arbor.   Durham recently de-committed from UT and is taking visits to Stanford (last week), Oregon and Michigan on January 25.   Durham is a 4 star prospect to ESPN and 3 stars to Rivals.  He is 6'6 and 230 pounds and considered a pass catching TE prospect. 

(I'm assuming that Cameron Hunt will pick another program and Michigan won't take 7 offensive lineman in this class)

Michigan is also being considered by a walk-on kicker from Michigan named JJ McGrath.   JJ's final 3 is Michigan, LSU and Southern Miss.

Seems Michigan's opponent in the Sugar Bowl last year has hired a former Michigan QB: 


Va. Tech has hired former Auburn asst. Scot Loeffler as Hokies new OC, a source just told CBS.

1 comment:

uncle ron said...

Reon not much of a hitter or is it just me.....