Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Michigan Tuesday: A Wonderful Night

Elizabeth Conley/Detroit News
The Michigan Basketball team played Wayne State last night in a exhibition tune up for the season, but that wasn't the story.    The story was that Austin Hatch a survivor of TWO plane crashes that took his entire family, played a couple minutes at the end of the game, got fouled and hit a free throw for one point.   John Beilein called an immediate time out and gave Austin a bear hug.   There wasn't a dry eye in the house as Austin's teammates jumped off the bench like they had just won the Big Ten Tournament to support their teammate.  The young man who dreamed of playing in Crisler made a point, literally and figuratively.  Congrats Austin and welcome home!

Michigan looks like an athletic and long team.   The offense was a bit "clunky" as the outside shots weren't falling but the defense seemed to be pretty sharp against the D2 team.  Michigan will be very young this year but has some very nice pieces for this year and future years.

The New Kids:

Donnal is an athletic big.  More of a shooter then a low post guy.   I think he has a very high ceiling.

Ricky Dole has a big frame and will eat up some space underneath.  A role that has been missing from Coach B's offense and defense for a very long time. 

Aubrey Dawkins didn't play a ton, but from what I saw I really liked.   He seems very comfortable on the floor and has a very nice jumper.  He seems like a guy Coach B won't be able to keep off the floor.

DJ Wilson and Kam Chatman are clearly going to be a factor this year.  They are going to be the classic "hot and cold" freshman, but both of these guys have game and once they "figure it out" the sky is the limit.

The veterans like Spike, Zak, Caris and Derrick played like you might expect.   This team will look like world beaters at times and other times like a lower level Big Ten team.  Either way it will be a great year with the young Wolverines and a freshman leader in Austin Hatch.

It's nice to have basketball back.  Michigan opens their season on Saturday against Hillsdale at CC 2:00 - ESPN3 with the coverage. 

7 comments:

M go Clean said...

Does coach B know anything about football?.....Doesn't really matter, I'm sure he'd do better than Hoke!

Scott K said...

M go...
That's funny, reminds me of prior to sparty hiring dantonio.... the rumors were izzo was willing to take over the football team.

M go Clean said...

It still boggles the mind...OSU hired Urban Meyer.....A "no brainier" for success, who hired some of the best assistants in the biz. And, Michigan hired Hoke who brought a band of has-beens that no one else would have wanted in a top program. Mattison and Nus just can't compensate for that. Such a "head scratch er"....been scratching for years now!

Please Please get it right this time!!!

Listening to IMF..."kids played hard", "practices well", gotta take better care of the football....blah blah blah

Brad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad said...

Okay so I deleted my original reply to M go Clean . I really don't want to sink to his level. This post is a much cleaner response. M go clean: If you think for one second that Nuss and Mattison are a band of has-been you know NOTHING about college football. Have you looked at all at their resume? To me you're either a piece of shit troll ( in which case I am responding exactly how you want me to), or a energy vampire douche that has very little to offer. Either way find a new hobby. If you think people aren't frustrated with the results you're fucking delusional. Singing praises to Meyer and the Suckeys should automatically get you banned for life on this blog.

M go Clean said...

Hey Brad......appreciate your comments, but I really didn't mean to include Nus and Mattison...When I said " Mattison and Nus just can't compensate for that" I meant to imply that they are "above the pack", but can't make up for other weaknesses. I wish all of our assistants were top notch. Glad to see that there are others out there with such passion!!! I actually wrote recently that Nus got screwed by not being able to come in with a clean house and chose his own offensive coaches. I also wrote many times that Hoke should be fired and Nus or Mattison made interim just to see if they can inspire enthusiasm, better game decisions, clock mgmt, etc. Why keep a "walking dead" when you can learn something by changing course...good or bad. Again, I apologize Brad, for being so vauge, but, I think that we agree.

M go Clean said...

Hey Brad......appreciate your comments, but I really didn't mean to include Nus and Mattison...When I said " Mattison and Nus just can't compensate for that" I meant to imply that they are "above the pack", but can't make up for other weaknesses. I wish all of our assistants were top notch. Glad to see that there are others out there with such passion!!! I actually wrote recently that Nus got screwed by not being able to come in with a clean house and chose his own offensive coaches. I also wrote many times that Hoke should be fired and Nus or Mattison made interim just to see if they can inspire enthusiasm, better game decisions, clock mgmt, etc. Why keep a "walking dead" when you can learn something by changing course...good or bad. Again, I apologize Brad, for being so vauge, but, I think that we agree.