Thursday, April 11, 2019

Michigan Thursday: Salutes Masters Day

To me this is the first day of Spring, the start of the Masters.   I really wish the club would open more TV coverage as it starts at 3:00 today.   They should start at Noon or earlier and go through until the last player is on the course.  

Of course the top story continues to be if Tiger can win another Masters.  I don't believe he will be in serious contention this weekend, as he had a recent neck injury and hasn't played a ton this season.    I expect Rory McElroy to be there on Sunday if his mind will let him.   Mickelson's mental block is the US Open and Augusta is Rory's.   We will see if he can get bye that.

If you haven't been to this tournament, it really is a special place.   The food prices are stuck in 1972 and you won't find anything without the Masters logo.  Even the water bottles have it.

TV doesn't do the slopes on the green any justice at all.   They are crazy and borderline unfair.  If you get a chance to go, I would recommend a practice round.  Which is easier to get in and the players are much more relaxed.   Today through Sunday is all business.   This trip is a must for any golf fan.  


  • Sam Webb expects both Iggy and Poole to stay in the draft process.  There had been some buzz about Poole not being exactly happy with his role, so maybe he is gone either way.   As I mentioned yesterday, both have a second round grade so they have some ground to make up to make this decision worth while.  

  • Coach B was out to see William and Mary graduate transfer Justin Pierce who is a 6'7 wing who averaged just under 15 points a game, with 9 rebounds.   Pretty much every other team wants Justin as well.  

  • Having both Iggy and Poole headed to the draft, hopefully is good news for potential freshman Franz Wagner who is considering playing pro ball at home or coming to the States to play college basketball.  As you know, Franz is Mo's brother.

  • Michigan NBA Day #2?
DJ Wilson: 18 PTS, 17 REB, 4 AST
Caris LeVert: 10 PTS, 3 REB, 4 AST
Duncan Robinson: 15 PTS, 5 REB, 3 AST, 2 STL
Glenn Robinson III: 9 PTS, 9 REB, 2 AST
Trey Burke: 6 PTS, 3 AST
Also Caris put Duncan Robinson on a poster.

2 comments:

Renegade said...

I will preface this with I do not play golf and follow it only marginally. In my opinion Ben Hogan (9 majors), Jack Nicholas (18 majors), and Tiger Woods (14 majors) are the GOAT's of their era. Having said that ...

Woods hasn't won a major in 12 years (2008). Since his divorce (2010) he has won only 9 PGA tournaments and in the last 6 years (2014 - 2019) has won only 1. I mention the divorce only because the precipitous drop off in his golf game seems tied to the same period. I am also aware of his physical problems, back and all. He has bounced back from those in the past. At this point his age is the main factor.

Personally I am confounded by the infatuation with him. His best days have been long gone for a decade now. Nice guy and all, but as a golfer now he's middle of the pack at best. This year he has played in 4 tournaments placing 1 top 10, 3 top 25, and 98th on the money list ranking.

"Of course the top story continues to be if Tiger can win another Masters." I fully expect the media to play it that way, but for me there are way to many other excellent golfers to follow.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Tiger_Woods#Professional_wins_(107)

scroll down to "PGA Tour professional career summary"

Colleen said...

“I’ve got blood in my mouth, there’s no qualms about it,” Partridge said Thursday afternoon. “For me the motivation is how last year … I don’t wake up a day and not think about it, that’s for sure. I know (defensive coordinator) Don (Brown) feels the same way. And I want to be candid, those guys (Mattison and Washington) left, and it was another shot, and it wasn’t OK.-Chris Partridge. About time someone spoke up and had some onions about Matty leaving.