Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Wolverine Wednesday: 2 More Check Out of Hotel Harbaugh

On a dark Dexter highway

Cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of Zingerman's
Rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance
I saw a shimmering stadium light
My head grew heavy, and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night

There he stood in the doorway
I heard a student's cow bell
And I was thinking to myself:
"This could be heaven or this could be hell"

Then he lit up an iPhone
And he showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor
I thought I heard them say

Welcome to the Hotel Harbaugh
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face

Plenty of room at the Hotel Harbaugh
Any time of year (any time of year)
You can find it here

His mind is football-twisted
He doesn't need the Mercedes benz
His got a lot of pretty, pretty 4 stars he calls friends

How they play in the Big House
Sweet summer sweats
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain:
"Please bring a contract with more time"
He said: "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"

And still those NFL voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say

Welcome to the Hotel Harbaugh
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face

They're living it up at the Hotel Harbaugh
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your milk and steak knives 

Mirrors on the weight room ceiling
Ankles on ice
And he said: "We are all just prisoners here of our own device"

And in Bo's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the Ryan Day beast

Last thing I remember
I was running for Schembechler's Hall door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before

"Relax," said the offensive minded man
"Wide outs are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"


In a move that was surprising and one that wasn't, McGrone and Nordin head to the NFL and leave Michigan early.  I hadn't even considered the option of McGrone going pro.  He had a very nice season a year ago, but struggled with injuries this season.   I expected him back, so he could put another solid year on tape and then head to the league.   I wish him well and hope he gets drafted but I'm concerned he is going to be a late rounder or free agent.  

Nordin came to Michigan with a huge leg and huge expectations as Michigan's next great kicker.  That didn't happen and I'm guessing he is seeing the writing on the wall for playing time and took the NFL exit.   Kickers are rarely drafted and I don't expect Nordin to be.  He has an NFL leg but he needs much better accuracy.  

Good luck to both and I hope they make it in the league.  

  • Michigan Football seems to be kicking tires in the Transfer Portal.  Two guys to watch are Penn State DT Antonino Shelton who is 6'2 327 pounds and WMU LB Treshaun Hayward.  Shelton is the size of DT Michigan has been looking for but has had limited production.  He had 6 solo tackles last year and 5 this year but he did have 3.5 sacks this season which is strong for a DT.   He was also suspended for a game this past season for spitting on a MSU player.    Hayward played at Ann Arbor Skyline and for WMU in 2019 totaled 142 tackles, 10.5 for loss, and 5 sacks.  He was the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2019.  This season he played with a inquired hand (club) and still led the team in tackles with 59.

  • Herbie has COVID and will have to do his duties for ESPN this weekend from his house. 

  • Michigan - Maryland tip has been moved to 8:00 on New Years Eve on ESPN. 

  • Last Tracking Tarik Update:  Alamo Bowl last night, ruled academically ineligible.  Planning to head to the NFL draft with his final stats at Texas:  10 catches, 240 yards, and 1 TD.  2019 at Michigan was his most productive with 25 catches, 323 yards, and 1 TD.  

2 comments:

Goblu said...

Would be crazy/amazing if nordin became a good kicker.

Rudy said...

Nordine is the Joe Milton of kickers; all leg and no accuracy. Best wishes to Herbie; guess he waived that white flag on covering bowl games.