Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Michigan Tuesday: Do You Want to be an FSU or BC?

I've been watching as much college football as my brain would allow me the last two weekends.  The interesting thing to me is not the decline of Florida State after an undefeated season, it's the approach some teams have taken in week 1 that is different from the way Michigan game planned.   


Now, I fully understand there is a different game plan if your BC under new head coach Bill O'Brien (BOB) on the road as a 16.5 dog vs. Michigan at home and a 21 point favorite.   With that said, there are some similarities between the two programs.  

BOB has a talented QB, good offensive line, loves to run the ball, a DC from the NFL, and talented pass rushers.   The defensive line was highlighted by a familiar name last night in George Rooks who made some nice plays (we have to stop sending good players to BC).   BOB used an early pass run combo to jump out to an early 14 - 0 lead.  He was very creative in getting the ball to his RB's and TE's in the pass game.  The run game then dominated the rest of the night.   The defense was continually showing different NFL looks and confusing DJU (who I think needs QBU right about now).    We all know the similarities above to our beloved program.   

Coming into the season, many expected FSU to be the best defense in the country.  That was a very poor prediction. 

So what is the purpose of this post?  I think Harbaugh and now Sherrone loves to win boring games and sleeps well at night knowing they got the W.   Some of us think that is a bit of a dangerous game and an off night from your kicker or a bad turnover could be the difference in a blowout or an upset.  

I don't believe the Michigan team we saw on Saturday night is anywhere near the team they can be right now.  I say right now, because Michigan's offensive play calling was as basic as I've seen it.  Why are you running Edwards straight into a loaded box?  Sure there were things that have to be "cleaned up", like the offensive line assignments, etc.   But they had to be holding back for Texas, right?  Please be the reason.  

If they wanted to be a underdog to turn the page of the play book, they will have that opportunity on Saturday.   Wink is also going to need to go NFL medieval on Texas on Saturday as well. 

  • Zvada is the Co-Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week

8 comments:

ScottyDoggs said...

What happened to Brady, did Michigan man do him in ... because he was more popular? Did he feel unappreciated? Do we need to start a collection in order to buy him some feminine napkins? Besides the side show .... I believe we will not even be in the game to make it interesting. I firmly believe Texas will push us around like one on those football sleds that line men push around in practice. I hope I am wrong, but until proven wrong this is my belief. Pray that I am wrong!!

MichiganMan said...

Guys I am so happy to be back from Dubai...I missed everyone. Lets go Blue and lets have nice year. Marshall needs to carry the ball at least 10times a game....plz put him in.

MichiganMan said...

Brady come back we miss you!!

Chowman said...

I don't know about the holding back thing. Not sure Sherrone has that kind of clout that he can afford to hold back the offense so he doesn't show Texas anything. You want to say they have a handful of special plays for Texas? Ok! But there's too many new pieces on this offense to be "holding back"! The flip side is they might of had to dumb down the offense due to the ability of the QBs?

And MM, if I used too many words for you, that's an Ish-you, not an Ish-me. Maybe you should power thru my posts, it may expand your vocabulary!

Aimtubbs said...

After the last National Championship in '97, we started out '98 by losing the first two games by double digits. So....no hangover this time. We do however, need to temper expectations of picking up where we left off. Just isn't going to happen. There's need to be some growing and development. Our depth is going to prove to be our strength. As the seasonal grind continues, many teams will lose their one-deep stars and be a different team.

szanreno said...

Chowman why do you even acknowledge that asshole MM? Keep on keeping on...

MichiganMan said...

Chow you are not a thesis...just chill...relax.

MichiganMan said...

No thanks...too much reading for me bud....keep it short and sweet