Monday, January 12, 2009

Weekend Results: Recruiting, Basketball, and Hockey

This past weekend was a big weekend for recruiting for the Wolverine Football. They had a number of guys come in that they hope to sign to a LOI on February 4th. Let's break down who was in (that isn't a current commit) and their probability that they will join Big Blue:

  • Sam Montgomery, 4 star DE, his impression of the visit: "It went pretty good, I can't complain," Montgomery said Sunday night. "I was impressed by the bond of the players. They were all family. I loved them to death. There's no selfishness. They are all on the same page. They are ready to win some games. And playing opportunity is there. I'm high on Michigan right now. They are two steps ahead of everybody. But I'll wait and make my decision after all the visits." This is good news, but I would still rank his probability of being a Wolverine at MEDIUM - I believe he will head to LSU.
  • Marcus Hall, 5 Star OT from Ohio, his impression of the visit: both recruiting services are saying that Hall enjoyed his visit to Ann Arbor and Scout's is even saying that Hall has Michigan has his #1 now. I would rate his probability of becoming a Wolverine as LOW, as I believe he will end up at OSU. Marcus is Ohio State's Big Will Campbell.
  • Denard Robinson, 4 star athlete, his impressions of the visit: I believe Denard like his visit to Ann Arbor and Michigan is also recruiting one of his teammates Adrian Witty (a two star CB). As you have seen, Coach Rod and staff like to recruit teammates and it's been a successful recruiting tactic these past two seasons. I would rate both Denard and Adrian's chances at becoming a Wolverine as HIGH. Both of these positions are big needs for the Wolverines. If the snow didn't scare the Florida boys I think they will choose Michigan.
  • Travante Stallworth, 4 star WR and current Auburn commit: Travante really enjoyed his visit to the Wolverines and Terrence Robinson was his host. He really enjoyed the coaches, the players, and the other recruits on the visit. They had dinner at RR's house and he was very impressed. He is taking visits to South Carolina, Auburn, and Mississippi State before he makes a decision. If the pressure isn't too great to stay South, I think Travante becomes Blue. I rank the probability as Medium with a high upside!
  • Barkevious Mingo, 4 star LB: I haven't heard a thing on his visit, which is usually bad news. Mingo didn't have Michigan in his top 3 before he came to Ann Arbor and I'm not getting any word that has changed. Probability is very LOW.

__________

  • The Michigan Basketball team took care of business on Sunday by beating Iowa soundly at home 64-49. The game wasn't even that close. Manny lead the Wolverines with 18 and Simms had 16. Michigan next plays Illinois on the road on Wednesday. They will need to play better then they did against IU on the road this past week. Highlights here!
  • For those of you that follow Hockey, Michigan had a very nice weekend on the rink by beating Miami of Ohio 5-1 on Saturday and 4-0 on Sunday.

No comments: