Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Michigan Tuesday: 2010 QB Election

With President Obama at the Big House this weekend, I thought it would be interesting to do a 2010 U of M QB Election at the Big House Blog. 329 of you voted and the results were interesting to say the least. When I run these polls, I usually can predict what the results will be, this weeks poll surprised me a bit. Nearly 60% of you are ready to have Denard start in 2010 with only 30% voting for Tate. Even, "The President" Jack Kennedy got more votes to start over Devin Gardner.

Why was I surprised? I thought it would be closer to 50/50 split between Tate and Denard. I fully understand how impressive Denard was in the Spring Game and I also understand that he can take a small opening all the way for a touchdown. My only concern is, Denard doesn't have a full year under center running the full offense. Sure he played last year but that was in a very limited role. So my vote went to Tate just on the fact he has a full years experience running the offense and seeing 12 different defensive packages from the opponents. Hopefully the competition in the Spring will push both of them to better quarterbacks.

Either way, this could be a great 1-2 punch from the Wolverines next year.

Here is your winner: (btw: you have to feel for JB Fitzgerald #42 having to chase him - hopefully the end of the video will get your blood pumping a bit for the season)



  • Stephen Threet Update: Steve didn't exactly tear up the ASU Spring Game. He was 9-27 for 117 yards with 3 picks. Yikes! Maybe the 3rd team isn't a charm.


  • The Ohio North - South Classic: Michigan's class of 2010 played very well: Defensive lineman Jibreel Black (Cincinnati Wyoming) won the Defensive MVP with at least three sacks and as many pressures. “It feels good,” Black said. “I’ve been working hard in the off season to get ready, and it just paid off today. I tried to come out in the second half and make some plays for my team and get the win.”---- The North scored a late touchdown on an Antonio Kinard (Youngstown Liberty) interception to make the score interesting, but they couldn’t do anything further.


  • Speaking of Cincinnati it seems Michigan is starting to recruit Cincinnati LB Antonio Poole, who currently has 9 offers from the likes of Cincinnati, Illinois, Louisville, Michigan State, and many more.


  • Michigan is also visiting 5 star RB from NJ this week Savon Huggins. Savon has offers from everyone including Michigan.

3 comments:

Irfan said...

From watching the spring game I wonder if Denard will be given a pass run option on most running plays. Like on running plays where he can had off or run depending on the read, I wonder if on passing plays he will have one receiver he looks for and if that guy is covered he can take off running. It seemed like most of the passing plays were that way.

Bob said...

That is a good question and I hope not. A good throwing QB needs to stay in the pocket and look at a number of WR's. I think one of the things Tate struggled with last year was staying in the pocket long enough before he started to run. Part of that was the Oline, which we hope is improved this year.

Ricky said...

I've always wanted Michigan to have a gunslinging quarterback similar to Matt Leinart of USC circa 2003-2005. Someone who routinely throws 400 yards and 3-4 TDs a game. I'm a firm believer that we could've won a championship with Chad Henne had Lloyd Carr been less conservative with him.

I'm still baffled that Rich Rod didn't try harder to stop Ryan Mallett from transferring. Oh well. Let's hope Tate or Denard pull a Drew Brees next season. Otherwise, hello Les Miles?