Friday, December 10, 2010

Michigan Friday: More Hardware for Denard

Last year, Brandon Graham won the Chicago Tribune Silver Football Award which is basically known as the Big Ten's MVP award.  This year Denard Robinson has won the award barley edging out Ohio State's Terrelle Pryor.  Congratulations Denard!

Speaking of Pryor and if you watched the College Football Awards show last night, Cam Newton might be on your mind as well.  Aren't you glad Denard is at Michigan?  I'm sure am.  We all know about Cam and his potential problems but Pryor seems to seriously need a PR class or 2.  There was his comments a couple years ago about Mike Vick, his recent attack on former Buckeye QB Kirk Herbstreit, and now this:

"I'll put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses — any of them — and I'd dominate," Pryor said, when asked about the attention afforded the likes of Newton, Robinson and Persa. "I'd dominate the nation. What those guys do, that's what they're supposed to do in their offense."

Really?  I guess he forgot that he had an opportunity to be in any of those offenses and decided that "the Vest" gave him the best chance to be an NFL QB.  TP has been successful at Ohio State and has lost 4 games in 3 years.   So you have been successful but if your passing doesn't approve next year, you might be a WR/TE at the next level.

I know that TP picking OSU might have put Michigan's program back at least a year, but I would rather have Denard right now.

--Should the Gator Bowl be re-named the "Lame Duck" Coaches Bowl:  Both Rich Rodriguez and Dan Mullen were in Jacksonville yesterday to do the Gator Bowl Press Conference.  All the media wanted to know was if Dan was going to Florida and if Rich was still going to be in Ann Arbor in January.   RR even used humor to lighten up the situation: 

Rodriguez laughed heartily when apparently asked about his interest in the Florida job.
"There may be some people who want me to be interested," Rodriguez said, laughing.

"I'd personally like to thank Dan, my good friend, for taking all the heat on speculation off of me, putting it squarely on his shoulders," Rodriguez said. "That's good."

Rodriguez also joked when asked about Mullen moving on to another job.


"How dare you put me on that spot," Rodriguez said. "I think Dan ought to leave tomorrow. Somewhere.


  • Former Michigan kicker Brandon Kornblue who now trains high school kickers is having his annual kicking competition on 12/18 in Florida.  Last year, more than 30 kickers and punters went on to sign with NCAA Divison I schools after attending a Kornblue event. More than 50 of the country’s top-rated kickers fro Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Georgia and Florida are scheduled to attend.  Any chance a Michigan coach or two might be on hand for this event?  They better be. 

No comments: