On Saturday night, news broke that Coach Wheat was going to be the next running backs coach for the Jaguars. That report seems a bit premature as Sam Webb reports that he is looking at that job and other Power 5 roles. Reports are that Coach Wheat interviewed for the Western Michigan head coaching job but Tim Lester was selected.
We also learned this weekend that Coach Wheat's contract expired last week. So what is going on here? I have a couple of thoughts:
1. This could be a negotiation tactic and Coach Wheat might want a larger role and more money at Michigan. With Pep Hamilton, I don't believe there is a larger role currently on the Michigan staff.
2. Maybe the coaching styles didn't mess and he was told to look around.
Either way, it seems like a strange situation as Coach Wheat is a very good recruiter and his son of course is still on the team.
I hope he stays while he looks for a good OC or head coaching role.
- Looks like David Dawson is transferring to Iowa State.
- Michigan State picked up Pioneer 4 star LB Antjuan Simmons commitment this weekend. They also offered Michigan RB commit Kurt Taylor. Kurt fell to a two star recruit on Rivals.
- Yesterday was a good day for NFL Football, I hate when officials are too involved in a football game. During the first half of Cowboys - Packers game it looked like the officials had the Packers and the points. The officials were also the difference in the Steelers - Chiefs game as well with the holding call on the two point conversion. (which was probably the right call)