Monday, April 22, 2019

Michigan Monday: NFL Draft Week

This Thursday marks Round 1 in the primetime NFL Draft with the follow rounds the following days.  Here are a few of my thoughts regarding draft-able Wolverines and a few other players.

  • Devin Bush - Was Michigan's best player last year.  This guy really is a "missile" at the LB position and should be taken early on Thursday night.   1st round lock!

  • Rashan Gary - The hype never matched the production at Michigan but there are a few reasons for that.  Like often being double teamed and playing through a few injuries.   One of the best things about Rashan is he seems like a great guy.  I think he will work hard and have a nice NFL career, but not a JJ Watt type of player.   1st Round Lock! 

  • Chase Winovich - I think could be the steal of the draft.  He might be a second round player but could have more sacks then the higher ranked Gary.    If Chase stays healthy I expect will be an impact player in the league.  Expected 2nd rounder. 

  • David Long - Is a special CB but is getting zero buzz.  Someone playing attention will get a really good CB probably the 2nd round.  The Ohio State game is hurting all Michigan DB's right now.  Which I put more on Don Brown that David Long.   Another steal in round 2 or 3.

  • Karan Higdon - Is probably a day 3 pick up.  Most rankings I have found have him around #9 RB in the draft.   The NFL doesn't love picking RB's high and I expect Higdon will get drafted but not in early rounds.  

  • Zach Gentry - is a solid TE in a deep TE draft.  He is not seen as elite and had a stinker of NFL Combine, even though he improved his numbers at Michigan's pro day.  The deep TE draft will hurt Zach and I expect him to be picked on day 3.  

I love Winovich and Bush in this draft.   If you pick Gary, your picking him for his upside, as his best football could still be in front of him.   David is going to be one of those 10 year vets that doesn't talk much and just makes plays.   Higdon runs hard but see him maybe in the league for 3 years or so, Zach needs some luck finding a team due to his lack of speed. 

QB Draft:

I don't like this QB draft at all.  I wouldn't take Kyler Murray #1, I think he is too short and too skinny for the position.  I think he is one hit away from retirement in the NFL.   I'm also not a fan of Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins.  He has a rifle of an arm, but was throwing to super fast WR's that were wide open most of the year.  He only has one year starting and think will struggle in the NFL similar to Cardale Jones.  Come to think of it, Urban Meyer hasn't had a ton of success putting QB's in the NFL.  Best one Alex Smith?

Murray and Haskins are good college football players but it will be interesting to see how they translate to the league.   I think Murray made a poor decision dropping baseball as his career could have been much longer in baseball if he made the MLB.   I don't think he is a Drew Brees,  Russell Wilson, or even Baker Mayfield.  

Will be a fun end of the week and good luck to all the former Wolverines. 

No comments: