Friday, May 17, 2019

Michigan Friday: Gets a Big Offensive Lineman

Michigan Football received a mountain of a commitment in offensive lineman Zak Zinter from Massachusetts.  He is 6'6 and 300 pounds and plays guard or right offensive tackle.   He is rated as a 4 star prospect in 2020 and #21 OT in the nation to 24/7.

His offer list is a great mix of academics and football powers including: ND, Harvard, Princeton, Auburn, BC, Miami, Florida, Duke, Ohio State, Penn State and others.

Per 24/7: “Michigan had everything I was looking for (in a football program), and on top of that it has great academics,” said Zinter, who is the No. 21 offensive tackle in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “It has a top-rated business school. It has big-time football, a strong brotherhood and a coach I know who can develop me as a player so I know I can get to that next level.”

As Zinter neared a decision, his discussions with Harbaugh became more frequent recently. The same took place with offensive line coach Ed Warinner.

“We talked numerous times and I started to build a very strong relationship with (Harbaugh). I am very fond of him,” Zinter said. “With (Warinner), we talk multiple times a week, I’ve been there and watched practice and been to their camp. I love the way he coaches. He is an excellent coach who I know can develop me.”
Welcome Big Man!

  • News came out that Shaka Smart is interviewing Luke Yaklich for his staff at Texas.   There are reports Michigan is interested in Shaka but he carries over a $12M buyout and there is no way U of M would be picking up that cost.   UT hasn't been great under Smart and there is some thinking that the University would lower that buyout or even let him walk.   For those supporting the Smart to Michigan hire wouldn't mind seeing him coach with Yaklich.  It seems UT is thinking the same way.  

  • There is also news that Juwan Howard will get an interview for the Michigan job.   I say hire him, keep Luke and Saddi and try to keep the recruiting class together.   I love Howard's upside and Jalen supports it.   

  • Warde shouldn't negotiate the new coach's contract.   He reportedly didn't have a buyout clause when he extended Coach B after the Pistons interest last summer.   This and the ND situation makes me believe Michigan's AD needs to take a few classes at the Ross Business School.   If Warde doesn't come through this hire with flying colors, I'm expecting him to be on the hot seat.  

1 comment:

SecondChance said...

Agree that Warde has not been impressive, but let's see who he hires. Hopefully will be announced next week.