Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Wolverine Wednesday: Can't Stop Smiling

Yesterday was a terrible weather day for the US and getting home from Houston was a challenge.  The upside was, every airport, shuttle ride, and airplane was full of happy Wolverine fans.   Even had the opportunity to say hello to Desmond in the Houston airport on Tuesday morning.   It was the best worst travel day of my life.  Just glad the delays were on Tuesday and not Monday.  


Monday at the game there were a ton of former players there, we saw Braylon, Big Mo Hurst, Jehu Chesson, and randomly Adrian Peterson just to name a few.  My invite to the suite with Jordan, Jeter, and Travis Scott must have gotten lost in my email somewhere. 

The most questions I was getting from fans, was What's Next?

So I thought I would give you my $.02 on what I expect for the important decisions:

1. Jimmy's future - I believe Jim will consider NFL offers and most likely will jump to the NFL with the right opportunity.  He has won 3 Big Ten Titles in a row and now a National Championship.  He has accomplished what he wanted to do at Michigan.  Yes, he can stay and continue to win or take on a new challenge.   Jim probably has 10 more years of coaching left in him.  Where he wants to live and the opportunity in the NFL will be key.  His top options will probably be the Chargers due to a young talented QB already on roster or Washington to be in the same market as his brother.  The NCAA does not affect his decision and the NFL opportunity has to be the right one, he is not working for Tepper for example. 

2. Who would replace Jimmy?  Leader in the clubhouse is Sherrone.  He would be a great choice, my only concern is,  having Michigan being your first head coaching job won't be easy and I would lean towards someone with head coaching experience.  My pick right now is Jedd Fisch, he knows the program, has NFL ties to great minds and resources, done an excellent job at Arizona, and was an interim head coach at UCLA.   To me he has the right mix of experience and talent. 

3. JJ to the NFL?  If Jimmy leaves, JJ goes for sure.  Right now, I think it's a 50/50 decision for him.  I've seen him with 1st round grades and could be a guy that rockets up the draft boards.  I expect he will go to the NFL but loves Michigan and could be a Heisman front runner if he stayed.  

4. Transfer Portal - Don't be surprised if we see a number of guys jump into the portal.  This is college football right now and players will be jumping in for sure in the next week. 

5. Donovan Edwards to the NFL?  I hope not, outside of Monday, he didn't have his best year.  He has a a chance to be the guy next season and I hope he takes that opportunity vs. gambling on the NFL draft. 

6. Jessie Minter?  Jesse is going to have opportunities in the NFL.  If Mike MacDonald gets a head coaching job, Jessie will be the Ravens DC.  If Jimmy leaves for the NFL, I think he takes Jessie with him.  His resume took a huge boost the last 2 weeks.  I would love for him to stay at Michigan but my expectation is someone will grab him up in the NFL. 

7.  Who would replace JJ at QB?  Alex Orji is a guy Michigan would develop as a dual threat QB, would like an experienced "portal" guy to back him up as they give Jadyn Davis some experience.  Similar to they way they gave JJ experience in his freshman year. 

8. Portal Needs?  Will be determined as Michigan loses players to the NFL or Portal.  WR is a high priority. 

9. Future stars? Sabb, Grant, and Morgan. 

10. Best National Championship gear - All of it!


6 comments:

Goblu said...

I’ve leaned into the Sherrone as HC, simply bc of his focus on culture. Next year likely will be down, so not a bad year to learn. I’m super worried about someone coming in and messing up the culture. It was too big a part of why these past 3 years were so good.

I hope minter stays even if Jim goes, but do see that as being realistic. Who’s the next on the MacDonald tree ???

Ron said...

Partied all night at south U it was 👍

Chowman said...

The only thing that will stop Jim from going to the NFL is Jim. Jim's a strange bird, and he doesn't come off well to everyone. Most UofM fans have become use to him, but I do think he could totally torpedo an interview if he gets too Jimmy.

I'd be good with either Jedd or Sherrone if he does get a NFL gig. As I was watching the game Monday night, the thought crossed my mind that this could be it with him and we might be in the hunt for a new DC very very soon.

Tim said...

Great post, as usual. I agree regarding Jedd. He has head coaching experience, NFL ties and done well at AZ. Sherrone did solid when needed, but this is Jim's team. His coaches, players, etc. Sherrone did excellent in his role as OC and HC when needed, but if Jim leaves that is a massive hole and I'm not sold on Sherrone being the guy yet.

Next couple of weeks will be interesting. I do wonder what his family is telling him. He could be the king at AA (I realize I am biased) buy at 60 why take on a project NFL team when you could be a hall of fame college coach.

My head says he goes to NFL and my heart says he stays. We will see.

Hays67 said...

Mullings could give Donovan a run for his money as "the back" next year...he sees the holes better and is a physical back...really impressed with his development this year!

Brady2017 said...

No sense even speculating on what Jimmy will do when Jimmy himself doesn't know. I hope and pray he stays and builds a dynasty.

Interesting that Pete Carroll and Nick Saban are available in case he bolts though. I also heard Kalen DeBoer would be considered.