Friday, May 5, 2023

Voo

I want to celebrate the life of my childhood friend that we lost yesterday to cancer.   Voo came into my life as nearly a full-grown man as a 3rd grader.   We all know somebody like this don't we?  As another friend mentioned to me today, Voo was a Super Hero when we were in elementary school. 


Voo's father was an assistant coach for Michigan Football and worked for Bo.  I always felt bad for their family and a little jealous, because he always had to have his Christmas early, because the family had to leave for the Bowl Game that Michigan was playing in each year.  Having that connection to the Michigan program was great and we took a few trips to the training facility, where Schembechler Hall is now.    I have a memory of a Michigan trainer giving me a role of athletic tape on one of those trips.  Why in the world do I remember that?  Another fun memory was right after the MLB strike the Cincinnati Reds decided to spend a week at Michigan's Baseball Stadium as they got back in shape to re-start the season.  That summer we rode our bikes down and shagged the baseballs that flew over the fence as the Reds had BP. 

Voo was a bit of an Ann Arbor legend back in the day.  He was the kid that always had to bring his birth certificate to baseball games as he looked like a high schooler in elementary school.  He would hit baseballs so hard, they would leave the fields in Ann Arbor that didn't have a fence.  I remember he hit a ball so hard one time, it went in someone's backyard.   Another time, a young girl was playing 3rd base and Voo hit a ball so hard at her, we thought she was knocked out.  She was fine, just a little shaken up.  

Voo and I played sports together through Junior High until it was obvious he was at another level than I was.  He went on to be one of the best high school football players in Michigan at Pioneer and decided to play college football at UNC where his brother was playing.  At that time, UNC was a terrible football program and he transferred to Michigan State where he finished his football career.  

I really only saw Voo a few times after high school, at his wedding (he married his high school sweetheart) and at a buddies wedding.  We lost touch over the years like many folks do.   Then a mutual friend let me know Voo was battling cancer a few years ago.  Seeing a photo of a thin man who was obviously in a battle with cancer, was shocking vs. the larger-than-life 6th grader we all remembered.   He had battled injuries over the years and also recently had back surgery.  Probably due to the years playing the violent game we all love.  

Voo was a gentle giant back in the day.  His physical size didn't match his kind personality.  As he would run me over in a pickup football game on Georgetown's Golf Course (it was closed for the season), he would be the first person there to help me up.  I got in trouble from my parents one night after school, becuase I was late for dinner and my shirt was grass covered and torn like Hulk Hogan had ripped it off.  

Those are just a few memories I will remember about my friend.   He was a better person than he was an athlete and he was a damn good athlete.   I hope his family has some peace today as his battle with cancer is over and he can rest easy.   Rest in Peace my friend.  

11 comments:

Voice of Reason said...

Bob, my condolences. I'm sorry for your loss. IMHO!!!

Goblu said...

That is a very nice tribute to your friend. You were lucky to have that time together. I lost my best friend earlier in the year - each other's best man, etc. Sucks to get old and start losing friends.

Condolences and def enjoy/embrace your memories.

Thom said...

A passionate tribute to a great friend from another great friend.

Unknown said...

Yes Bob, many of us do have a remembrance of friends like Voo. I don’t know which one was a better person Voo or you. I’m sorry for ALL our loses.

szanreno said...

Sorry you lost your buddy Bob. Great way to send him out is through your fond remembrance of him...

JDawg said...

So very sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like you had some great times. May his memory be a blessing.

High Sierra Howard said...

Very nice tribute...
... and Fuck Cancer!

Unknown said...

Great tribute!! So sorry for your loss!

Blue said...

My sincere condolences Bob. With myself going on 74, life seems to fly by, especially when looking back at one's early school years. Thinking how much it meant having a best friend throughout the years along side you for the ride.

jregan said...

Sorry for your loss

David S said...

Bob thanks for your post. I was a year behind Brian at Pioneer and remember his athletic exploits well. He was a men among boys. I had a couple classes with him and remember him talking about his recruiting trips to Stanford and to Penn St. after they won the natty. He was like a celebrity for us younger guys with sports ambitions.

I have lived in Serbia for the past 15 years and I have often referenced him and his brother as great examples of Serbs (his last name Vuletic is very common here, I believe his father was a Pittsburgh Serb) that grew up in the US and just killed it in football. In Serbia, football is still in a very nascent phase, despite all the success in basketball, soccer, water polo and more recently tennis.

He really was the nicest guy and the most modest person, particularly when the entire student body and faculty were all clamoring after him. He was the best athlete at a school which was full of top tier athletes at that time, and he somehow managed to not lose sight of who he was, which I was always impressed with.

RIP Voo