Friday, August 9, 2024

Michigan Friday: Wonders About Nike

If you didn't know, I'm a bit of sneakerhead and love a good pair of sneakers since I was a kid.  Nike has always been my brand, I even wore a new pair in Europe and pretty much trashed them walking through Florence, Rome, Pompeii and other historic cities. 


Every August I get excited about the new Nikes that will be released for the Michigan Football season.  Nike hasn't really released Michigan Jordan's for a number of years (please do!).   They have been releasing versions of its popular running shoe Pegasus with each Nike Football Program during August.  This year they went with an off brand or a Shoe Carnival version called the Air Max Solo.   Nike did something similar last season with its Maize Air Max System.  If your not a sneakerhead, you might wonder what the hell, I'm talking about.  Nike sends weird versions of Air Max to discount stores like Shoe Carnival to meet their market.  It's not the famous Air Max lines (90, 2017, Vapormax, etc) that are in the $200 range, these are $100 shoes.  

On a side note, Nike is struggling for the first time in my life.   There are new brands coming for them.  I was in Chicago in the Spring and everyone was wearing Cloudnova.  It was probably 5-1 over Nike's that I saw.  New Balance continues to do well with its brand and Hoka is a favorite for runners.  To be fair, adidas is struggling as well after the Yeezy fall out.  Under Armour always seems on the brink of bankruptcy as the Curry brand is no longer carrying them.  Skechers is still the #2 sneaker brand in the US, which might surprise many people.  So I get Nike's strategy with this shoe, I just don't like it and it looks "cheap" to me. 

I introduce you to the Michigan Air Max Solo's




Another side note, the MDen struggles have been widely reported.  The season schedule shirts are not in yet and you will see other retailers with the new 2024 sideline gear before the MDen now.  MDen is a local company run by a schoolmate of mine from Pioneer.  I hope they rebound and fix any business issues they have.  I know I am dating myself, but anyone else buy their baseball glove at Stein and Goetz? 😀


  • Get ready for the Joe Milton hype again.  He played well last night if the Patriots first preseason game in the 2nd half.  Joe's hype train hits every 2 years or so. 

Have a great weekend and thanks again for sticking with me while I was out for the last few weeks! 


11 comments:

ScottyDoggs said...

I first start out with "What do I know?" I do believe the Hamburger gate is real. Two guys stopped by unexpectedly and they went out to lunch (big deal) .... but someone squeaked on Jimmy (one of the coaches let go?). Jimmy brushed it off as nothing and thought it would go away. Someone at NCAA won't let this go and will not stop. I compare this to someone is fined 250 dollars for jaywalking while a bank it being robbed and/or a woman is being assaulted within line of sight, but the enforcing officer is hell bent on the "jaw walker". Is the NCAA outdated, do we need a self-governing body amongst the major conferences?

Ron said...

It has been proven that Harbaugh either lyed or forgot and if he did forget he shouldn't have.. this whole thing is getting uglier by the day.. I believe he didn't know anything about the sign stealing but the recruiting violations he's got to
answer to

Cormac said...

"Get ready for the Joe Milton hype again." I remember the original Joe Milton hype. What a dud! Btw, Michigan fans have been reliving the Joe Milton hype with the Alex Orji hype. Both made very outlandish claims with very little substance.

Brady2017 said...

Cormac- I'm not seeing much Orji "Hype". I read he is doing OK and starting to earn the starting job. That's not really hype. We'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

Brady2017 said...

The only problem with The B1G and SEC becoming self-governing without the NCAA is that it will cost money. Leagues are in business to MAKE money. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the B1G become an autonomous sovereignty.

Dvzk said...

@bob I went to pioneer too, class of 97! Those shoes are hot ass I agree. I own several pairs of Hoka and brooks and I can't wear anything else.

Aimtubbs said...

I'd caution you not to rush to judgement on the Harbaugh burger gate and forgetting. If being interrogated and the interrogator doesn't have his or facts straight, why would you throw them a bone by admitting anything? The NCAA constantly throws mud to the wall and sees what will stick. A savvy person doesn't fall for it and give them as vague of an answer as they give a question. I was once under oath and the questions were so poorly worded and asked, it made it easy for me to be evasive with my answers. I didn't lie, I just didn't let them give a half-assed effort and be successful.

ScottyDoggs said...

Aimtubbs I have to remember that ... you are so spot on!

Cormac said...

Brady2017, what sites are you reading? I also read Maizenbrew, Blue by Ninety/Fansided, and MichiganInsider. What I see reminds me a lot of the Milton hype. I remember hearing much of the same reports for Milton that I hear about Orji. Especially when it comes to passing.

Fremont Little Giant said...

you'll love Joe Milton but he'll break your heart!

Fremont Little Giant said...

i am afraid that Orji is Milton II, for our sake lets hope not.