Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Where in the World is Robert Perryman?

Background:

  • Michigan Running back 1982-1986
  • During his Senior year finished second on the team in rushing yards; was not tackled for a loss the entire year. The Wolverines went 11-2 and won the Big Ten that year.
  • Drafted by the Patriots in the 3rd round #79 in 1987
  • Played 6 years in the NFL: 4 with New England and 2 with Denver.
  • Family: Robert and his wife Sonya have two children Krista and Robert Jr. (a freshman who plays football at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn)

What is he doing now?: Perryman is a probation officer in Gloucester, MA and also officiates high school games. He is also working as an assistant coach with the Boston Militia of the Independent Women’s Football League. Former Patriots cornerback Derrick Beasley (and Robert's Brother-in-law) is the head coach.

On his NFL eye opening moment: “I remember it was a game against the Giants,” said the former New England Patriots running back, “and we were in the tunnel before the game. I knew their guys – Harry Carson’s number 53, Carl Banks 54, Pepper Johnson 52 – all that stuff, and then I saw all of them in the tunnel. I said to myself ‘Wow these guys are huge. I have to go block these guys?’ And I’m usually not fazed by anything."

Any injuries in the NFL?: “I tore both my knees up out there"

On why he choose Michigan?: “I thought I was going to Penn State,” said Perryman, who had narrowed his choices to Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Miami. “Penn State and Syracuse seemed to be the most interested. Joe Paterno came to visit and that’s where I thought I’d end up. When I went to visit Michigan, I just fell in love with it."

Other jobs outside the NFL?: “I worked in marketing for Staples and I worked for the United Way,” said Perryman, “but I was doing so much traveling. I was home more when I was playing football"

No comments: