Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Wolverine Wednesday: OSU Has Started Spring Ball

Ohio State lost the regular season but won the off season.  They purchased the portal for $13M and hired UCLA's head coach to run the offense.  The hype is already starting after 1 practice.  


Here is Bruce Feldman via his colleague at The Athletic:  "Up close, he looks nothing like a freshman. He’s 6-4 and 215 pounds entering the spring, and if somebody didn’t already know he was a true freshman, he could be mistaken for a third-year player." @cj_teague , on OSU's next great WR Jeremiah Smith.

Other reports:
  • All 5 QB's participated including transfer Will Howard
  • OL Line: 1st team, freshman Luke Montgomery was practicing at right guard while Josh Fryar was at right tackle. Carson Hinzman was at center, with Alabama transfer McLaughlin taking second-team reps. Josh Simmons and Donovan Jackson is at left tackle and left guard.
  • I don't know why its funny to me seeing Chip Kelly running the OSU offense.  He of course wants to add tempo.  
I wonder how OSU is feeling about losing to Michigan again last Fall and the Wolverines winning the National Championship? 

  • Brian Jean Mary is officially hired and in the directory.  Not sure why it takes so long to make those hires official. 
  • LaMar Morgan is the only new coach not in the directory or officially official.
  • Arch Manning turned down EA College Football 25

10 comments:

Chowman said...

I was told since UofM is a publicly funded school, they have to go through the State of Michigan hiring protocol. When I graduated from college, I took a job at Wayne State University as the job market was for shit. The protocol back then was they had to post the job for a requisite period internally before they could hire from the outside. I know it sounds like a joke when you're talking hiring a football coach, but government is all about bureaucracy!

Brady2017 said...

Chowman- 100% on that government bureaucracy. Also, I replied to your comment yesterday about Wink, hopefully this will ease your concerns. I'll repost here-

I think Sharrone was looking for continuation when he hired Martindale. Wink's defenses were top in the NFL his first 3 years in Baltimore, so his scheme can work. He's flawed, sometimes puts his backs on an island, but his philosophy is to make the QB throw the ball as quick as possible and cause turnovers. Lots of disguised defenses. It's what we've been doing for the last 3 years.

Brady2017 said...

Rudy- If UM decides to replace Juwan, I like your idea of Brian Dutcher. I also thought of another coach with local ties that I wouldn't mind seeing coaching Michigan, and that's Greg Kampe.

Brady2017 said...

The REAL reason Arch Manning didn't want to be in EA Football was his position in the depth chart. He didn't want to be 2nd string behind Quinn Ewers. Poor baby! Lol

Chowman said...

Brady,

Yeah the bureaucracy caused me to last there 3 months before I found job in the real world!

As far as Wink, per Valenti, who's a Giants fan, Martindale threw some players under the bus for not executing his defense the way he saw fit. What he ran in the NFL is far more nuanced than what either MacDonald or Minter ran. If NFL players were having trouble picking up what he was trying to put in place, he needs to keep that in mind when dealing with 18 & 19 yos. One of the most important things both Mike & Jesse brought to the table is they were able to connect with college age kids. It's been a helluva long time since Wink has had to deal with players that are going to be this young!

I'm an OU grad, I'm not getting into details, but I'm a HARD pass on Kampe! Just say there was some sht that went down when I was there that I had 1st hand knowledge of that is not what Michigan needs right now!

Brady2017 said...

Chowman- That's a bombshell I've never heard about Kampe. I see him on the Ch. 2 Sports show with Dan Miller and he seems like a cool dude. What happened? Do tell.

Chowman said...

Brady,

It involved a crossing of the lines so to speak. It involved someone that was very close to me at the time and of course it was all hushed up. I was told it wasn't the only incident of its kind, but I didn't know any of the other people who were involved.

Brady2017 said...

Chowman- That's disappointing. Sorry about your friend. It's a messed up world. Really is.

Brady2017 said...

And jobs should have been lost. No excuse for crossing the line at work. Sad.

Chowman said...

Brady,

Even worse, she was a student, we were both students at the time. He kept harassing her. We finally had some words, threats both ways and that's where it ended. Happened to another time that I know of because the girl was my buddy's GF. Kind of a creeper!