Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wolverine Wednesday: Denard Inks Deal and Burke Continues to Struggle

Denard Robinson signed his first NFL contract on Tuesday and NCAA Football 14 was released with his photo on the cover.   I would call that a good day! According the league's rookie slotting system, Robinson gets a signing bonus around $210,000 and counts about $450,000 against the salary cap.  No other terms were released. 

Trey Burke who just signed on Sunday struggled again in his second NBA Summer League Game.  He went 5-for-15 outing for 11 points.   "He's going to be a good player," Lowe said. "There's no need to worry about Trey Burke right now."


  • By now many of you have heard about the Columbus boy that is fighting cancer that he called "Michigan".  My first reaction was "how disrespectful to the University and the State".   Then I realized it doesn't matter what the boy called his disease, just that he beat it and hopefully won't have to deal with it again.   Many people in Ohio take this rivalry way too personal and this is another example, but the important thing is this 12 year-old continues to beat cancer and can live a normal life.  

  • Speaking of Wolverines signing their first professional contracts: Tim Hardaway Jr. and the Knicks have agreed to terms on a four-year deal for $6.1 million.  Tim will play his first summer league game on Friday.

4 comments:

Scott K said...

I have posted on my facebook page, in the comments of the Yahoo sports and Fox Sports printing of the story of young Grant beating cancer... I HIGHLY encourage all Michigan fans to reach out to this young man, in any way they can, identifying themselves as Wolverines, and offering their support, prayers and well wishes to him. It was of no surprise at all to find out his parents were both osu alums... the hatred in columbus is nothing less than disgusting. It up to us to rise above it and show this little man that LIFE is so much more than a football rivalry and that Michigan fans support him and cheer him on to health and happiness.... Maybe there can be another life lesson in it for many. GO BLUE.

Bob said...

Very well said Scott and I agree.

uncle ron said...

Great job Scott....I have 2 Brother-in-laws in Columbus and they would think this story is disgusting. The last time they were up for a game they were the first one to stand up and and tell some drunken Ohio fan to shut up and sit down....once again Great job Scott.

Scott K said...

I made the unfortunate mistake of marrying an osu alumna.... of course that divorce was finalized on June 10th.
I told her and her family that it was a great rivalry, like the one we have with MSU, ND, etc.. But not in Columbus. Columbus is a beautiful city, but filled with vile and hatred... There are common sense buckeye fans, but the overwhelming majority (from my personal experience) are over the top, out of line. I have a family in a jeep pull up to my mother in laws driveway, as I grilled burgers, wearing my U of M hat... the two sons, probably 10 and 14, stand up and yell "lets go bucks, Michigan sucks" while flipping me the bird, high fiving their mom and dad and driving off... I thought, wow, classy folks! Granted, there are classless asses that wear the Block M, but I've seem much less of it. My wife was in ICU at Riverside hospital in Columbus, litterally on life support, and just outside her room, there were ignorant comments made about the U of M shirt I was wearing..
They have classy fans, my ex brother-in-law is one, they are just few and far between....
You can imagine the household that poor cancer patient is growing up in.... I can envision his parents condoning the behaviour of the family in the jeep, sad.. My son's would have gotten a back hand accross the mouth for acting that way, to a buckeye or anyone else.
GO BLUE!!