Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Michigan Tuesday: So Courtney is Really Good





Courtney Morgan is one of the top management names in college football. Courtney is also a Michigan Man, If the name doesn't ring a bell, here is a snapshot from his Alabama Backgrounder: Morgan was a three-year letterman at Michigan, playing in 28 games and starting 11 in his five seasons. He played all five offensive line positions and was a member of two Big Ten championship teams (2000 and 2003). Morgan earned his degree in sports management and communications from Michigan in 2003.

He is currently the GM for Alabama Football after his stint at Washington.  Courtney was briefly with Michigan and Harbaugh before taking a raise to the Huskies.   Why is Courtney in the news?  USC tried to hire him away from Alabama to become the President of USC Football and Bama stepped up to pay him $825K a year for 3 years to keep him in Tuscaloosa.  If you still think college football is an amateur sport, this might sway to the professional side of the street. 

Congrats to Courtney and his financial advisor. 

  • Speaking of former Wolverines working at Alabama.  Did you know Nick Sheridan is Alabama's OC?
  • 2025 4-star WR Andrew Marsh from TX is announcing today.  Michigan is the favorite in the clubhouse. 👀
  • MDen closes more stores and just has the Ann Arbor downtown locations open.  In their Chapter 11 paperwork, they blame COVID on their financial issues.  MDen.com is also down for now.  

3 comments:

Brady2017 said...

Yes, I knew Nick Sherridan was Bamma's O.C. That's how I knew we had a chance to beat those guys. Lol

szanreno said...

I wanted to share a story. I recently ran into an Alabama fan who started talking to me because of the UM garb I had on. He went on to say he was ok with Michigan winning but felt they should have pulled it out. I replied “well I guess it wasn’t their day”. He further stated that they probably could have won if their “center didn’t sabotage the game”. I thought he was being humorous so I replied “no he didn’t have a very good day did he”? He further stated that “he was serious”. “Every time a crucial situation arose the snap was bad.” I believe there were 5 bad snaps in the game and I only recall the one in OT being crucial, I’d have to look at the others, but I’m not. I asked him how he knew that and did he actually hear those words come out his mouth. He said no. I asked where he heard this and he stated his daughter went to Alabama and it was all over the sororities and fraternities. It seems that Milroe was dating a girl he wanted to date and the girl didn’t want anything to do with him so this was his way of getting back, so to speak. He also stated he had been doing it during the regular season including the Auburn and Georgia games. I quizzed him why Saban, this story was probably unknown to him even if this were true, would let a player, especially the center, continue to play with so many poor snaps. He claimed Saban was fiercely loyal to his starters. I told him a few quarterbacks would probably beg to differ. I also said if it’s all over school then the football team knows as well and if it got out it would be a big story. He said it didn’t get out. I responded “What? You know. The sororities know. The fraternities know. And the football team probably knows. I said if it’s true, it’s out! But yet not a word in the media.” He shrugged his shoulders. Apparently Saban before he left released him and said “he was no longer welcome at Alabama”. I said to this man, who was well dressed and apparently educated, that I “call BS”. I did a couple searches on the internet but it revealed nothing.
He also claimed that the snap in OT cost them the score as Milroe was supposed to go outside and it was open?!? I said he got the snap cleanly, no fakes, no hesitation, no seconds thoughts, he went straight ahead, so I don’t believe that either. Even told him Saban said that was the call. It was one of their 2 point conversion plays but they didn’t get it blocked. He had no rebuttal to that.
Anyway I thought you may find this interesting in the lengths some fans go to.

Sincerely,

Steve Zander

Tim said...

All of that seems a bit far fetched. I agree. Even if Saban is fiercely loyal to starters, he doesn't accept that many mistakes. I don't see him putting up with this. And if this was out it seems players would have done more. Hard for me to imagine this really happened like that...but...the starting center for Bama did leave the program and is now at Ohio State. That happened.